Connecting mic's to PODxt: Is it doable?

F

filipe

Hey guys, this is my first post, and first of all i'd like to say i'm pretty excited about participating on this forum: heard nothing but good things about here. :)

Second of all, my question is i have a PODxt bean shape, and i want to plug in my microphone and mic my amp, which i did it already, but it sounded awful. I mic'ed it on axis, at the center of the cone.

My amp is an awesome Laney LC30II, all-tube, and my mic an AKG Platina. I tried selecting the "tube preamp" model on PODxt, but the POD still sounds way better than the mic'ed amp.

Any solutions? Do i have to run a preamp before the POD? Thanks!

For vocals, I've use a dynamic mic plugged directly in using the "preamp" setting. It worked. It was an easy way to track simple ideas when not at a studio. Hey may even be cool for weird sounds and shit.

Studdy, that's exactly what it sounds like when recording vocals, a bit weird. :/ Storming, that's exactly what i was going for! I though that if it emulates a tube preamp, it would be a good way to mic the preamp with it. But now, after your post, i'm thinking maybe the input is just for guitars and if i want to use it as an audio interface i should buy a simple preamp and connect the mic preamp on it?

But then this also brings me to another question: I heard you could damage the input if driving it too hard. So how would i know when the signal from the preamp is driving POD's input too hard. Any ideas? :)

I used it as an audio interface before (pod xt live - should be the same), but I was using its own amp and cab simulations. I do not know if the podxt has that switch, but podxt live had a "pad" switch and an input knob which enables you to control the input volume. And you can just select "no sim" and "no cab" in the pod xt to make it colorless for your mic'd amp tone.