Connecting With The Audience (For The Band)

Frank

Electric Monk
Jan 24, 2003
Painesville, Ohio
Visit site
I've wanted to ask this for a long time. I've been reluctant because it's a sensitive issue for me. I'm slightly afraid of the answer.

I mainly am asking Enchant this question, but I know that several of the people that post here are members of bands, so feel free with your thoughts also.

What does it feel like when you connect with the audience? Do you ever wonder if we really "get it"? Do you ever watch the audience listen, as we watch you play?

As a listener in the audience, I often wonder if I even "get it" sometimes. Many times it's as if it's some type of invisible connection between the band and the entire audience that can be felt and experienced. When that happens it's a really cool feeling for me, but I just always wonder if the feeling is reciprocated.

I've always been afraid of the answer because, in reality, what motivates a band to play, may not be the same motivation I have to listen.

Sorry we have not responded sooner. Well I could go on for some time in response to this but I will just say that for me personally and I am pretty sure the guys agree, it is the best feeling when the audience is connected to the music in such a way when "they truly get it". When the lyrics are truly meaningful and people can relate from life events it is even more intense. I have witnessed a range of emotions and been consumed and at times, overwhelmed myself to point of tears.

Especially when you are dealing with losing a loved one or deep emotional pain from loss or a failed relationship, most of us have been there.

I think most of our fans do "get it" including you my friend. Ted tries to keep it light in beetween songs because most of the material is so heavy it might be a little overwhelming for some.

This does motivate one to really pour it out onstage.

I am sure most of you have some kind of moment or story in response to this post.

Frank thanks for asking this question it is really a good one.

When I was in a full-time band many, many years ago I never really thought about the band/audience connection. Since many people didn't have our demo-tape, and I'm sure people couldn't understand the lyrics at the show, I always figured people were there for either the entertainment and/or to hang out with their friends. If people started head-banging or moshing then we were happy they were getting into the music. I never felt a connection though with the audience.

On the other hand, when I would go to other bands concerts I felt the same way. I enjoyed watching them play as well as the feelings I'd get from their music but I never really connected with the band.

As I've gotten older all that has changed. I'm no longer on the stage, but as far as being in the audience it's different now. For example, when I'm at a 'Rush' concert, there are certain songs that just *hit* me, like 'Red Sector A'. The way the band performs it and just thinking about the imagery of the lyrics just makes me want to cry! As for 'Enchant', I don't know how they've done it but so many of their songs talk about struggles and wisdom learned from experiences that I have found myself going through as well. Just the other day I was listening to 'My Enemy'. I've never really paid that close attention to the lyrics of this song before, but right after going through a few major stressful weeks of life I just happened to have that CD playing in my car and just happened to listen to what Ted was singing. Wow!!! He was talking about exactly what I was going through! Seems I wanted everything nice and easy "but not the sacrifice". I'm constantly learning from Enchant and there's a ton of their songs I hold very deeply! Anyway, I've only seen them play live once, but even at that show I felt they were really into the meaning of their music while they were playing and I felt that connection you speak of at that show.

Thanks for bringing up this interesting topic!

As long as the music effects you in some positive light, I'm sure the band would find that better than you getting what they actually wrote it for. It's art, it's made to be interpreted in different ways. Of course lyrics constrain you're interpretation to more of a degree than, say, visual art would, but it's still up to interpretation.