Contemplating picking up guitar or bass...

Porksoda

Jun 1, 2005
So I've been a classical musician for most of my life now, about 13 years. In that time I have dedicated myself to pretty much just french horn, and as much as I love it, it is one of the most non-versatile instruments in terms of different genres and styles of music. For a while I loved Primus and wanted to learn bass, and I still kinda do, and then I found SymX and I wanna learn guitar.

I am having difficulty deciding between the two, so I would appreciate the input of fellow musicians on the pros/cons of each. Also keep in mind anything I say here is my (uninformed) impressions so feel free to educate me.

I'd say, to me, the draw of bass is a lot of the really crazy stuff that Les Claypool can do with it, making it a really viable leading instrument over guitar. I also see it is also more of a melodic instrument and less of a chordal instrument than guitar, so I feel I would understand/relate to it better coming from brass. Also, I love the impact you get with the deeper range of the bass. However, I feel like the bass doesn't get a lot of love in metal in it's own right, and is relegated to mostly support of guitars and drums with an occasional solo thrown in. If I am wrong here, by all means bitch-slap me and put me in line.

As far as guitar, one need only listen to MJR to understand why I want to play. :) Incredible, INCREDIBLE dexterity! The tonal flexibility of the instrument also really appeals to me. Also, the I love the combination of rock/metal with themes taken from already familiar classical works in prog metal.

Pros and Cons... Discuss...

Of course they're quite different in some ways, but if you can play one well you shouldn't be too bad on the other. Except maybe bass to guitar, because of the extra strings and stuff... Oh well. The guitar is my domain, I don't really know bass.

I play guitar.....as well as piano, saxophone, and voice. If you're looking for places in metal where the bass has a major part, start with any and all jazz-influenced metal. In jazz, the bass compliments the guitar instead of just playing root notes. So all the jazz-influenced metal bands have constantly moving bass lines. Another bass-heavy band to check out is Spiral Architect......and also Gordian Knot. Basically any band you see where the bass player plays a Chapman stick, you can assume that there will be some awesome bass playing.

I don't know what your listening experience is, so forgive me if this is old stuff for you. You might also want to listen to some other virtuoso guitar music. One genre to look at is jazz fusion.....which is a movement that started in the seventies which is the complexity of jazz combined with some rock elements. Check out some Al DiMeola, and maybe also some Mahavishnu Orchestra. If you're looking for more impeccable technique, Al DiMeola is your guy. His first several albums are really famous jazz fusion, it's latin sounding jazz with rock influence. Not only can he make great jazz fusion compositions and do some great electric work, but he can also shred up a storm on the acoustic guitar. That's the other essential thing from him 'Friday Night In San Francisco,' a guitar duo/trio acoustic live album with two other guys with the same technique level. No band, just three amazing players playing duets and trios of great jazz material. If you want to listen to something from that, check out "Mediterranean Sundance/Rio Ancho," Mediterranean Sundance was the first song I heard from him, and it's really cool.

So yeah, if you are interested in jazz in relation to guitar, you have to learn your chords.....all of them, and be able to play them in any inversion, just by seeing the name of the chord on the page. It can get just as tough as having amazing single note technique.

It's up to you, just maybe try both and see what you like better. I'm not really interested in being solely a guitar performer, I'm really interested in composition.

Oh....and just to through out another progressive metal guitarist for you, in case you don't know him, Ron Jarzombeck. If you want to find out about him, just hop on over to the Spastic Ink/Watchtower board here....there are some songs on his site. (Spastic Ink is the band you want)

Bassist Pros
We got groove!
Wide range of techniques available i.e, slap+pop, tap, fingerstyle, pick
More rhythm integrated role in a band
The challenge of holding the low end yet still being melodic
Less competition (shouldn't really be your motivation)
Relatively easy to pick up

Bassist Cons
Limelight tends to be on guitarists in a band situation. Exceptions include Primus, Weather Report, etc.
Sadly a lot of people are ignorant of bass and dismiss it as just a low guitar
Could be looked down upon (but if your band are decent musicians you won't be)
I'll admit it, as a bassist, I find myself envying the chops of some guitar players. But bass players can have chops too. Billy Sheehan is an example of a mad fast bass player. Or Victor Wooten, widely acknowledged as the most technically able bassist in the world.
The bass world is generally friendlier than the guitar world (as in, no bitching, no meaningless "guitar duels")

ARGH!! I suppose I have time to make this decision anyway. I guess part of the draw is that I do some audiophile electronics design, so getting the chance to use my skills to enhance my music designing pedals and stuff would be very sweet.

I've definitly heard about the competition for bass being less stiff, and there being more demand from some of my musician friends. I'm a pretty laid back guy, Pastorius, so I suppose the friendlier musical community would be a draw.

I suppose this fall I will have to buy myself an instrument and build a practice amp :D

NoSoup4you said:
Of course they're quite different in some ways, but if you can play one well you shouldn't be too bad on the other. Except maybe bass to guitar, because of the extra strings and stuff... Oh well. The guitar is my domain, I don't really know bass.

Not for me!

The hardest thing I find about playing guitars is the string spacing, and how I just can't feel some of the top strings under my fingers!

Well, I've had to pick up the horn again to play for my sis' wedding, and it has only confirmed my decision that I am done with this instrument :yuk:

Recommendations for inexpensive starter basses and practice amps? Keep in mind I am a student... Sub-$300 basses would be very desireable to start with...

As far as practice amps, I plan on building my second one. The only reason I would buy one at all is to work with until I build a better one, and of course to tear it apart and reverse engineer it :p

I think with a username like porksoda, you pretty much have to pick up the bass. There arn't many under $300 but OLP makes a musicman replica that's pretty nice for slapping. You really just have to play them and find one that feels cumfortable, or you like the sound of, because you can't be guaranteed anything at that price range. As is said here a lot, it's really subjective, so just go out to any music store, and play basses. But you can pick up more expensive ones too, just to feel what it's like, and look for one that replicates that feel at your price range.

Plus if you feel that the bass doesn't get to the front in metal, more reason to play bass to put it out there. Les claypool played metal before he found out about slapping.

Androz said:
If you want to listen to some Metal with nice Bass lines you can pick an Opeth or a Pain of Salvation's album

Blackwater Park is one of my all-time favorite albums! I've never actually listened to it with bass in mind, but I will do so now :)

I know enough musicians that I am sure I can find someone good to get lessons with, so I think I will talk to them and then try and find a bass. Somehow I feel like just going to an instrument shop and feeling out one I like when I don't even know how to play just shouldn't work. At least with brass, EVERY instrument sounds like shit until you have a year or two under your belt to develop your embrochure.

EDIT: Btw, does anybody know if there is a difference between a guitar tone stack and a bass tone stack? I've been able to find them for guitar, but not bass...

I dl'ed a couple of Victor Wooten's tracks, and I gotta say Cherokee makes me smile :)

So far, Weather Report isn't quite doin it for me...

i know what you mean, i play the tuba, and with brass instruments you have to have some skill under your belt before picking out an instrument you like. But with something like a bass, there is a feel that doesn't require any knowledge prior to picking it up. Of course though takinf a few lessons can't hurt and can give you a knowlege of what's important. But the feel of a neck isn't something that people can tell you you'll like. There are definitely things that having a knowledge of the instrument will help you pick out, but for a low end bass you just want something that feels good, because nothings going to sound great.

I also would though recommend lessons, your musical background will really help, but it's much easier then learning from a book.

Yeah I planned on getting lessons anyway. I took lessons on horn for 7 years and it took my playing places it never would have gone otherwise. I know enough people that getting a good teacher isn't a problem.

If you want to hear someone play bass possibly faster than Romeo, get Classical Thump. It's his etude, and it's unbelievable.

And A Show Of Hands.

I kind of figured a prog metal fan wouldn't be the greatest jazz enthusiast, but we are out there!

bass
its cool and groovy but nobody hears it unless u play in theater -=|Dream theater|=- or another progressive band ~!
guitar
cool fuckin' melodies and rippin' solos that tear ur head apart ~!
its guitar 4 me ....

That's not really true. I'm sure if more metal bands had amazing bassists, you would hear them more. The metal ones that do, you definitely hear them. And bass is prominent in other genres, especially jazz.

Barking Pumpkin said:
That's not really true. I'm sure if more metal bands had amazing bassists, you would hear them more. The metal ones that do, you definitely hear them. And bass is prominent in other genres, especially jazz.

ya i know man but especially prominent in jazz is the guitar too...
so we never gonna come into terms ~!