Continental vs. Analytic

Demiurge

This user has no title
Aug 12, 2003
lunar stonehenge
Visit site
What is your opinion on the divide between continental and analytic philosophy? Do you favor one over the other? Do you think that both sides should draw upon the insights of the other?

If anyone doesn't quite know what I'm talking about, examples of paradigmatic continental philosophers are Heidegger, Derrida, Merleau-Ponty, Gadamer. Examples of philosophers in the analytic tradition are Russell, Kripke, Quine, Davidson.

I am more familiar with what is referred to as 'analytic' because that's what I study. I don't understand a lot of the jargon that continental philosophers use, so much of the time I don't know what these guys are on about. I guess if I knew what these people were talking about I would be able to give an educated opinion. I'm not sure if there is still a rivalry between the two camps, but when I was an undergraduate I noticed a lot of lingering prejudice against continental philosophy. I think that's unfortunate. It seems like the source of much of the prejudice is just a failure to really engage with continental philosophy and make an effort to understand it. I'm certainly guilty of that sort of thing.

Not experienced enough with either to properly comment - but in my dealings with each so far I have found continental to deal with some exceedingly interesting ideas, in a language that adds unnecessary complexity and serves to create some apparent contradictions and misunderstandings. Analytic I have found less ambitious but structured more strongly. So yes, I think combining the strengths and ideas of both would be great - I'd imagine some modern philosophers are doing such...

I think the origins of the divide have much to do with language and the development of the University, which in turn relate to much broader issues. The predominance of English in so-called analytic philosophy is not happenstance; that analytic/"anglo-american" philosophy grows out of and thrives in the research University isn't either.

I also think the conception of the divide as being between two traditions or schools is highly questionable. An analogy of twentieth century "continental" philosophy and twentieth century music might illustrate this. It is often assumed that what the so-called second Viennese school began (especially Anton Webern) was taken up and brought to further development by the post-war serialists (e.g., Boulez, Stockhausen, Ligeti, et al.). In a similar way, continental philosophy is supposedly a lineage of German idealism, phenomenology, etc. taken up and worked out by, again, post-war (primarily French) advocates. The issue in both cases is whether, to what extent, and in what sense, the thought and work of these earlier thinkers and composers is actually engaged or "developed" by those who claim the inheritance after the war. I would argue that they leave untouched (and possibly distort) far more than they have received or taken up.

So, I don't think there is much of a rivalry between analytic and continental, and what remains has faded, primarily because there are no longer two combatants, if there ever really were. The current status of philosophy departments and what and how they research has far more to do with fundamental features of the modern world than any petty rivalry between two academic camps.

I've read some Heidegger, and I'll admit at first I had no idea what he was saying. Fortunately my professor helped the class to come to understand his arguments in a way I am more familiar with (the analytic stream).