Converter recommendations

Skyweaver

Shred or Die !
Jul 9, 2005
Australia
www.luthor.info
I've been using the Edirol UA-20 USB converter for a while now and looking to finally get some decent gear.

The converters I'm looking are below - I dont need a micpre just a good quality converter for use with Nuendo,

Fireware Audiophile
Apogee mini-me
MYTEK Stereo96 DAC
Apogee Rosetta 200
Edirol Fa-66 ( http://www.edirol.com/products/info/fa66.html )
RME Fireface 800

Any experiences good or bad would be great

i use a motu 828mk11 and the quaulity is real good there. im pretty sure its the same converters as the 896 except different ins. the 828 has 2mic pres, 8analog ins, 2spdif, and 8 adat. the 896 is more expensive because it has 8 mic pres. so if you want a box with 8 mic pres the 896 would be the way to go. if you want to use other mic pres with the interface then the 828 is probably the way to go. the mic pres on the both arent the greatest pres ever but not even close to the worst either. i use the 828 with other mic pres-studio projects, presonus, focusrite, and more to come. id really like to check out the rme fireface though. never heard anything even close to negative about it, must be a good reliable piece of gear. and as far as apogee goes everyone knows its really good stuff, just super pricey. i hope to own a few of there pieces in the future. ive eheard good things about the mackie onyx pres as well. i think it boils down to there are alot of good options, but whats right for the person and the budget is what narrows down the choices.

Thanks for the posts guys, great info.

I'm open to any suggestions, the list isnt definitive - its just what I have been recommneded by the local music shops here.

I want to have a seperate mic pre to the converter, just need to make sure I can get the best band for buck.

24bit - 192K is the goal.

You'll more than likely find that 24bit 192kHz is overkill, unless of course you want to produce DVD-Audio. the bit rate is MUCH more important than the sample rate, 24bit 48kHz is pretty much the standard for most studios and a lot of engineers can't hear a difference in rates higher than 48kHz. The human hearing range only being a theoretical 20Hz-20kHz and Nyquist (google for the theory behind Nyquist, my brain is not working thanks to jet lag) being at 24kHz, for the case of a 48kHz sample rate, makes 48kHz a more than adequate sample rate. Especially considering that at the end the audio will be dithered to 16bit 44.1kHz for CD audio.

For a converter I've always liked Apogee and if you've got the money I'd say get the Rosetta.

Razorjack said:
You'll more than likely find that 24bit 192kHz is overkill, unless of course you want to produce DVD-Audio. the bit rate is MUCH more important than the sample rate, 24bit 48kHz is pretty much the standard for most studios and a lot of engineers can't hear a difference in rates higher than 48kHz. The human hearing range only being a theoretical 20Hz-20kHz and Nyquist (google for the theory behind Nyquist, my brain is not working thanks to jet lag) being at 24kHz, for the case of a 48kHz sample rate, makes 48kHz a more than adequate sample rate. Especially considering that at the end the audio will be dithered to 16bit 44.1kHz for CD audio.

For a converter I've always liked Apogee and if you've got the money I'd say get the Rosetta.

I stick to 24 / 44 usually, with 192 your just wasting bandwidth on a DAW sorry to say!

Something jonas told me the other day (not quoted exactly right):

"the problem is that most people wouldn't be able to hear the difference without a very expensive stereo, and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a very expensive stereo anyway!"

edit: and as someone else said, "if you can afford the bandwidth to run at 96 then why not impress your dog!"

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
I stick to 24 / 44 usually, with 192 your just wasting bandwidth on a DAW sorry to say!

Something jonas told me the other day (not quoted exactly right):

"the problem is that most people wouldn't be able to hear the difference without a very expensive stereo, and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a very expensive stereo anyway!"

edit: and as someone else said, "if you can afford the bandwidth to run at 96 then why not impress your dog!"

Am I missing the point or did you just back up what I said? :dopey: