Cool acoustic treatment idea...

Jan 10, 2005
stone.jpg

Hey guys, we sold this stuff at one of my old jobs and I just now remembered about it when I was thinking of good ways to help my poor rectangular home studio be a little more desirable. It's a product called veneer stone, basically it's 1-2" thick and each stone is seperate, so it's not like a 1x1 or 2x2 plate of shit, each stone is by itself and you put it on just like bricks (mortar, etc.). It's actually made of stone and other brick materials, so it's not just for looks. Having a surface, such as the one in the picture linked below, like that does wonders for reflections. I'm already planning on getting an estimate on how much it would take to cover my control room and drum room seperately, hopefully it won't be too much so I can get both of them done :)

If I remember correctly they are sold in boxes by the square foot, so one box would be 50sqft for $XX and then for 250sqft it's $XXX or something. I don't remember the prices but you can contact the company. Anyway, thought I would share the information. www.veneerstoneretail.com

~006

I sold this stuff at my last job. Pricey stuff.

Are you planning on doing it yourself? If not, don't be afraid to give it a shot, it's not hard, especially if you're putting it on plywood or similar material. Just got to get the lathe and skimcoat up and you're halfway there.

Haha, nah man I'm quite handy. I've got some experience with carpentry and construction, masonry and light electrical work. I remember this stuff was a little expensive, but compared to the real thing it's quite cheaper, and not to mention that I think the benefits of it (acoustically) are well worth the cost...and it looks better than DIY diffusers and whatnot. I am figuring for the whole room (or both rooms, hopefully) to be covered with this, and then also have some DIY panels and bass traps placed through the room in key areas.

~006

Hahahahha, love it Sloan. And if you have to install each and every stone, holy fuck does that seem labor-intensive. I mean, it looks great, but come on...