Cool new tuner - TC Electronic PolyTune

Jind

Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)
Mar 7, 2009
I don't know why, but for some reason I find this sort of cool. It's the new TC Electronic PolyTune tuner pedal - "the world's first polyphonic guitar tuner". While it's not like tuning each string individually is that hard of a task, I'm sure this would speed up things for performing musicians between songs and such.

It also supports Drop tunings which while not obvious with only a push button for visible controls, but the website notes:

Drop-tunings – Dropped tunings from E-flat down to B supported in Polyphonic mode

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, finally, how could we exist without this? You know how hard it is to tune each string idividually? I mean, 6 STRINGS, DUDE. It's like forever. And what if you own a 7-string guitar?

(sarcasm not directed to the poster but to the product)

Seriously, I think this is kind of useless. It says that you strum all strings and it tells you which strings need tuning. Well, generally every string needs tunning. And You can see them all at the same time. Well, what's the point? Your not gonna be using 6 hands to tune all strings at the same time, you will tunning each one at a time

Oh, finally, how could we exist without this? You know how hard it is to tune each string idividually? I mean, 6 STRINGS, DUDE. It's like forever. And what if you own a 7-string guitar?

(sarcasm not directed to the poster but to the product)

Seriously, I think this is kind of useless. It says that you strum all strings and it tells you which strings need tuning. Well, generally every string needs tunning. And You can see them all at the same time. Well, what's the point? Your not gonna be using 6 hands to tune all strings at the same time, you will tunning each one at a time

I wouldnt say that its useless.. seriously, compare to a regular tuner:

Hit the string - wait for tuner - tune the string - hit the string - wait for tuner - fine tune *repeat 6 times*

Compared to:
Hit all strings - wait for tuner - tune the out of key strings - hit all strings - wait for tuner - fine tune *done*

Im not saying this is the best thing that has ever happened.. but it really does make things easier..
.. if it really works! ;)

Hit the string - wait for tuner - tune the string - hit the string - wait for tuner - fine tune *repeat 6 times*

Compared to:
Hit all strings - wait for tuner - tune the out of key strings - hit all strings - wait for tuner - fine tune *done*

Im not saying this is the best thing that has ever happened.. but it really does make things easier..

See that's sort of how I feel - especially for a performing musician as I noted in the original post. It has to be faster than individually doing one string at a time - sure you have to do the actual turning of the tuners, but just strum once and adjust - seems a little bit quicker.

Compared to:

But how long can the old method take? 30 seconds? 1 minute max...

This is great. I can think of one example straight away where this thing would shine.

Ok your on stage, played a few songs and just before going into the next you want to tune but you know you have only a few seconds to double check them before the drummer starts his 4 count *well some of them*. You might get half way before you have to stop and start the next song then finding your high E is out when your doing your solo. With this just strum and instantly know whats going on across the board without worrying about the strings you haven't played yet as you play.

This has happend to me before, thats why I had to say it.

This is great. I can think of one example straight away where this thing would shine.

Ok your on stage, played a few songs and just before going into the next you want to tune but you know you have only a few seconds to double check them before the drummer starts his 4 count *well some of them*. You might get half way before you have to stop and start the next song then finding your high E is out when your doing your solo. With this just strum and instantly know whats going on across the board without worrying about the strings you haven't played yet as you play.

This has happend to me before, thats why I had to say it.

That's when you throw things at the drummer and tell him to hold the fuck on a sec :D