I need a fast tuner

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I've got a Korg DTR-2000 rack tuner. It's too slow to register if you're trying to tune to the attack, I need something faster.

I love rack tuners but I'm not sure I could cope with a stroborack. I think that incessant scrolling would drive me crazy.

The new korg Pitchbalck pro rack tuner doesn't look like is is very fast.

The tuner in the Kemper is amazing. I've been using this for a while now. I've fed it test tones and I can see 32nd notes at 120bpm and it handles them absolutely no problem. Beyond that speed it look like its probably still working but I can't see it.

So that leaves me at the TC electronic Polytune. It looks fast enough and i really like the display. Don't actually care about tuning polyphonically. I've heard it can switch to polyphonic mode when you are trying to tune playing fast. I don't know if this is true.

Thoughts and theories please.

EFCSRST200.jpg

That was a fast post about fast tuners! I've looked at this one and a first I though it looked great but after watching a few videos of users saying how fast it was I noticed that it was really quick to react, the note name comes up almost instantly, with continual playing the LED ring around the outside seems really hard to read. With the poly tune it looks easier because you have the green and red contrast.

yeah, this thing is really fast and the great thing is, you can tune your bass also.
well this seems natural but most tuners can't handle deeper frequencies.

to me it's not hard to read but i use it at home only, this might be a problem on a stage.

I fucking hate how every tuner I've tried tunes a little flat or sharp compared to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear by the Peterson virtual strobe tuners. The iPhone one is my most used tuner. So accurate. But, it does seem like they have a tiny bit of lag from the initial pick attack until they register. are you trying to tune to that? That first millisecond of note produced?

If it's not for live use I'd skip the rack requirement and just use whatever is best man. Maybe test out the peterson options, and the polytune. I just can't go back to regular tuners now that I've seen the crazy accuracy you can get with the strobes.

Hijacking this thread, since I'm looking for a good studio tuner as well.
Anyone tried the Peterson Stroboplus HD or Korg Pitchblack Plus?

Haven't tried that new one (the hd) but we have a stroboflip at the studio. It's amazing, but they do take a little getting used to. Once you use them for a while, it's hard to go back.

I seriously use the iPhone one ALL THE TIME. Accurate to within 1/10 of a cent, has an easier to read cents display, that tells you exactly how high or low you are. It makes it a little easier to use than just watching the wheel. It's super cheap (like $12). Try it first if you think a strobe tuner may be in your future.

We also have a Korg Pitchblack rack tuner and I can't stand it compared to the strobes.

Really the only downside to the strobes is no one fucking knows how to use them. There's always a 5 minute "this is how you tune" when I meet a new guitar player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ5VvRTTmgE

I fucking hate how every tuner I've tried tunes a little flat or sharp compared to each other.

Although I agree with him 100% about a lot of things he plays everything differently. In the beginging he say to hit it like your playing then he moves to the next tuner and plays soft and says that this one is flat. The only way to prove what he's doing it to use s test tone.

Hijacking this thread, since I'm looking for a good studio tuner as well.
Anyone tried the Peterson Stroboplus HD or Korg Pitchblack Plus?

Hijack away my friend, the more the merrier! I'd like to know if anyone's used the Pitchblack pro as well. I have a feeling it would be too slow for my needs.

Haven't tried that new one (the hd) but we have a stroboflip at the studio. It's amazing, but they do take a little getting used to. Once you use them for a while, it's hard to go back.

I seriously use the iPhone one ALL THE TIME. Accurate to within 1/10 of a cent, has an easier to read cents display, that tells you exactly how high or low you are. It makes it a little easier to use than just watching the wheel. It's super cheap (like $12). Try it first if you think a strobe tuner may be in your future.

We also have a Korg Pitchblack rack tuner and I can't stand it compared to the strobes.

Really the only downside to the strobes is no one fucking knows how to use them. There's always a 5 minute "this is how you tune" when I meet a new guitar player.

There's no way I'm using and iPhone! haha. I can and do use a strobe. I hate when that's the only option. The Pitchblack plus floor pedal has the best interface for this because you can have the needle and strobe running at the same time. It's a really good way to tune, use the needle to get you close then the strobe to get you acurate. Too slow for tuning to the attack though.