Peterson tuners...

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
I just got my StroboRack in the mail today... The strobe display seemed a little crazy at first, but after reading the manual a bit and realizing how sensitive the tuner is to a very softly plucked string, it behaved much more nicely, and I can tell that it's far beyond the usual Korg DTR tuners I've been used to using for years. With the Korgs, there's always that +/-10 cent margin around the "in-tune" green light, where it's basically impossible to finely tweak the guitar and to tell how close you really are...I mean still don't mind the Korgs, and for live use I would still prefer them I think, but the Peterson in the studio is a huge improvement! It's worth the cash.

Anyway, those of you have have experience with Peterson tuners...when guitar tracking, would you recommend using any of the "Sweetened" tunings, such as the one specific to the electric guitar? Apparently it makes the 5ths and 3rds a little more consonant, but I'm wondering if this is something that could end up causing problems further into tracking, when adding MIDI instruments or something. It almost seems like it would be the smartest to just use the standard setting, but I thought I'd get some input first!

You could retune for each section of the song that requires you to play on different parts of the neck so whatever chords/intervals you're playing sound in tune. This is never easy, but it works. You also could invest in a buzz feiten system for your guitar and won't have that problem. Also, anyone who records with you could use that guitar, saving you a lot of trouble.

I would say for your personal benefit, to learn exactly where YOUR guitar plays sharp or flat and fret softer/harder on those particular notes. I've kind of trained myself to do this cause I'm a tuning freak, cringing at any warbly chord or fifth :loco:

You could retune for each section of the song that requires you to play on different parts of the neck so whatever chords/intervals you're playing sound in tune. This is never easy, but it works.

Yup, it's gotten to the point where I have to do this or I die a little inside :erk:

Aaron, I don't use any of the 'sweetened' tunings - I find them to sound just plain out of tune. I'd also recommend against doing the drop-tuning mode (IE you set it to -2 steps and still tune to EADGBE on the tunder display, but the guitar is actually in C), as it's never sounded quite as accurate as using it like a chromatic tuner.

I usually use the neck pickup with the volume rolled back to tune with my StoboStomp, and I usually have to tune the low string down a few cents because I'll pick it out of tune if I don't.

I usually use the neck pickup with the volume rolled back to tune with my StoboStomp, and I usually have to tune the low string down a few cents because I'll pick it out of tune if I don't.

If you're on a 22 fret guitar, you shouldn't use the neck pickup to tune because the neck pickup lies on the octave natural harmonic of the guitar. If you're on a 24 fretter, you're good though.

Give it a shot. The best way to hear the difference is get a 22 fret and 24 fret model of the same guitar (or similar styles) and listen to the difference in the sound of the neck pickup. It's huge.

Give it a shot. The best way to hear the difference is get a 22 fret and 24 fret model of the same guitar (or similar styles) and listen to the difference in the sound of the neck pickup. It's huge.

That's a bunch of bullshit. The neck pickup doesn't sound different on the two axes because of some magical harmonic node on the psuedo 24th fret - it's because one is closer to the bridge.

As soon as you fret a note, HOLY SHIT harmonic node moves!

I don't see why it would matter for tuning - it may be a harmonic but it's a harmonic of that note. It's not like it's going to cause interference or some shit from being slightly off. If that were the case, we'd never tune with the bridge pickup because it lies right under some random ass harmonic node that doesn't match in pitch.

The logic behind tuning with the neck pickup is that the string oscillates more there, since it's closer to the center of the string, and you can tune to a more accurate pitch throughout the strings entire vibration that way.

Thanks for the input guys...I won't try any "Sweetened" funny business. The tuner totally kicks ass though. What I was mentioning about the Korg tuners, how when you get near "in-tune" it's impossible to tweak with much sense of confidence...that problem does not exist on the Peterson. The slightest little turn of a peg is obvious on the display!

Just thought I'd mention...I just started tracking guitars today for my band's full length, and I'm quad tracking all the rhythms. I am SO glad that I didn't try to record them without the Peterson, no regrets whatsoever... I can't even envision quad tracking without it, actually, it would have been a difficult mess.