What tuners do you guys use?

I don't mean over time, I mean immediately when you pick a string - it pulls the string sharp. If you don't believe me, pick up your guitar and chug on an open low string while increasing the intensity of your pick attack while looking at a tuner. This is like the most common issue in the world; there's a lot of documentation on this forum of Andy, Lewis, Lasse, etc saying that they tune the low string a few cents sharp to counteract that. Gotta tune to the pick attack, not the open note.

That's the same thing I'm talking about. When you pick the string, that's the equivalent of 'bending it' a tiny bit (it sharpens the string). I tune to the pick attack a bit sharp, so as the string vibration decreases, it flattens a little, and the note is in tune.. I think we're just misreading each other somewhere.

That's the same thing I'm talking about. When you pick the string, that's the equivalent of 'bending it' a tiny bit (it sharpens the string). I tune to the pick attack a bit sharp, so as the string vibration decreases, it flattens a little, and the note is in tune.. I think we're just misreading each other somewhere.

It sounds like you're compensating the wrong way; you tune so the pick attack makes your needle on the tuner slightly sharper than in tune, right?

I tune so that the pick attack makes the needle on the tuner at dead-center, and it may end up slightly flatter than center as the note resolves as a result.

You're tuning it so the open note is in tune rather than the pick attack, which is going to make picked notes, esp power chords and anything chuggy sit sharp.

If I'm connected to daw than I'm using Line 6 free tuner from POD Farm 2. It's best tuner plugin I know, because it has really fast response time and pretty fine precision.
For those that struggle with low tuning I'd suggest to use natural harmonic on 12th fret, because for tuners it's easier to track higher notes.

Whatever you use to tune, make sure everyone in the band tunes using the same. POD Farm tunes a bit flat compared to my Planet Waves Tru Strobe pedal tuner, which was also different from my POD XT (I can't remember if that was sharper of flatter than POD Farm, but it was also different).

I'm using the Peterson strobosoft iPhone app a TON. Love that thing. If not that then the Kemper or x50 tuner.

With lower tuned guitars, especially something with the bottom string dropped, I'll tune the top 5 strings first. They tend not to bend as much at the initial attack, then I'll tune the bottom string by ear so the power chords sound good. Usually there aren't many issues with the Kemper tuner and a well set up guitar with proper string gauges.

It sounds like you're compensating the wrong way; you tune so the pick attack makes your needle on the tuner slightly sharper than in tune, right?

I tune so that the pick attack makes the needle on the tuner at dead-center, and it may end up slightly flatter than center as the note resolves as a result.

You're tuning it so the open note is in tune rather than the pick attack, which is going to make picked notes, esp power chords and anything chuggy sit sharp.
In the past I always tuned the attack a little sharp with the needle moving to the center after a second or so.

A couple of weeks ago I wanted to try something else and switched to the way of tuning you described here and it was an eye opener.
Espeacially fast playing benefited a lot. No out-of-tune-riffing with low tunings anymore.

In the past I compensated the tuning issues with a 30" baritone combined with overly thick strings (14 to 74 on Drop A).
No tuning issues here but boy...what a hell of a string tension leading to bad playability and a tone lacking of agressive pick attack.
(Once I had the the early ball 2837 on the 30"...that are 20 to 90 gauge strings....which almost broke my fingertips...)
But now that I know how to tune properly I am back to more common string gauges. What a relief...

I really like the X50 tuner, seems to be even more accurate than my Korg hardware tuner. Only issue is that I cant tune the 5th string on my bass with it as its too low.