Tuners and tuning

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
Say you have two guitarists and one bassplayer. They all use the same tuner, but kind "pics" the strings differently when tuning-... some picks harders, some pics softer..wich will alter the pitch..also when picking a lob B the picth will first go very high, then "fall" downwards...and different players seems to pick different places on this curve for when a string is tuned...so all in all, every instruments seems to be sightly out of tune with each-other.....

How do you guyes tune deal with this....and wich tuners do you recomend...I heard Korg was pretty good.

On the subject of tuners...

I was at this studio last month and they had an old strobe tuner. The engineer said he swore by them and wouldn't trust anything else for tuning. Guitar luthiers use them and stuff.

They're not badly priced either, heres what looks like the same exact model the studio had for $36 on ebay. link

What you are describing sounds more like technique issues than tuning issues. You should do your best to pick the same way when tuning as when you play. Also, there should really only be one place on the curve that you consider to be in tune, and generally it's marked with a line right in the middle of the tuner. I can't speak for guitar, but I've played 5 string basses forever and while it's true (as it is on all of the strings) that if you kill the B it will go sharp for a split second on the attack, it should immediately settle into a steady pitch before it starts to decay.
We use those boss floor tuners and korg stuff is good too. I personally think that the tuner on the pod is a piece of shit. It seems to have a broader version of in tune than I like. Splastik is right, strobe tuners are great, however I wouldn't take them out of the studio ever (e.i. onthe road).

Give the guy who picks harder a lighter gauge pick, or the softer player a heavier pick. Just a thought. I pick hard and fast as hell and use .46mm Dunlops (way thin). But it gives me the option of playing in deep tunings, still being able to really dig the strings when I chop, and play light and fast on "loose" strings (while maintaining a solid tuning). Overall dynamics are important when it comes to pick handling. Gotta keep that right hand in check.

I also mute real close to the bridge. If you choke up twords the center of the pickup, not only does it raise the key, it sounds like shit and gives you a very "short" palm muted note (and sounds ametuer).

I use to sport an OLD anolog tuner. I've tried several different types. Over time I kinda came to the realization that it didn't really matter what I used. Now I just use the built in tuner on my PODxt. My ears are usually pretty accurate as far as "in tune" is concerned anyway.

Lastly, I would just tell the guitarists to try to adapt to eachother's playing style accordingly, ie; one needs to play a little softer, or the other a little harder. Everyone plays a little different (which is good), but one of them might need to adorn a little dynamic in the studio. You could always just tell one of them that they sound like shit and need to try harder. That usually works. :D

Sorry for the rambling. Just trying to help.

one thing about muting strings, and where to mute them....

I always wondered about that myself...and when In Flames played in L.A. not too long ago, I had a chance to really watch Bjorn and Jesper's playing style...and while Bjorn muted somewhat close to the bridge....Jesper did not. Very close to the center actually..and with the 5150's, it still sounded really good...

....pretty surprised....whenever I've muted anywhere except near the bridge, it's always sounded like ass...