Cool Opeth news

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
More bands should do this kind of thing, but then again that's one of the things that sets Opeth apart (in my eyes anyway). Like the acoustic tour for instance (well, not exactly acoustic, but you know...)
Anyway, from Blabbermouth:
Too bad no SF date. Might have to head to L.A. for this one.

OPETH Announce Special 'Chronology' Performances - Jan. 19, 2006 Sweden's OPETH will hold several special performances, dubbed "Chronology MCMXCIV- MMV - A Live Observation By Opeth", in select U.S. markets on their upcoming tour encompassing material from each of their albums released throughout their career (1994-2005). These shows will be seated, with no support bands and will run for over two hours each with unique production. The markets in which these special nights will be held are New York, Chicago, and there is also a to-be-scheduled special performance in Los Angeles, CA.

OPETH will launch the much-anticipated second stage of their Ghost Reveries Tour in North America, beginning on February 15 in Raleigh, NC. In tow on this outing will be DARK TRANQUILITY supporting directly and THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND as openers in February and labelmates DEVILDRIVER as openers in March.

OPETH tour dates:

Feb. 15 - Raleigh, NC - Lincoln Theatre
Feb. 16 - Norfolk, VA - NorVa
Feb. 17 - Towson, MD - Rechter Theatre
Feb. 18 - Millvale, PA - Mr. Smalls
Feb. 19 - Cincinnati, OH - Bogart’s
Feb. 20 - Louisville, KY - Headliners Music Hall
Feb. 21 - Columbus, OH - Newport Music Hall
Feb. 23 - New York, NY - Town Hall **
Feb. 24 - Hartford, CT - Webster Theatre
Feb. 25 - Providence, RI - Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel
Feb. 26 - Quebec City, QUE - Imperial
Feb. 28 - London, ONT - The Drink
Mar. 02 - Chicago, IL - House of Blues **
Mar. 03 - Milwaukee, WI - The Eagles Club
Mar. 04 - Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
Mar. 11 - Eugene, OR - WOW Hall
Mar. 19 - New Orleans, LA - House of Blues
Mar. 21 - Orlando, FL - House of Blues

** = special "Chronology" performances

I don't like Opeth but I consider a live retrospective tour a very cool idea. I'm sure the fans of the band will enjoy it immensely.

Well I usually don't care to be this guy to point this shit out, but even the oldest Opeth is old school? I'm baffled at selecting this forum.

Not sure I see what's so clever about this concept... I guess they're gonna pick 1 or 2 songs off of each album, as opposed to their typical set?

Zivilyn said:
Well I usually don't care to be this guy to point this shit out, but even the oldest Opeth is old school? I'm baffled at selecting this forum.

There's a lot of Opeth fans here, well a few anyway. Opeth has a distinctly old-school vibe in my book. Close enough for postin'....

wdiv said:
Not sure I see what's so clever about this concept... I guess they're gonna pick 1 or 2 songs off of each album, as opposed to their typical set?

It's not clever, it's just a good idea. I'd love to see such a show. Let's say Sabbath, or Maiden, or even Nevermore did the same thing.....fans would love it. Obviously it would be hard with a deeper catalogue like that, but Opeth fans are DIEHARDS for sure, and they always seem to do special little things like this. Just classy in my book is all.

Zivilyn said:

I can imagine. The subtitle of this forum:

'Talk about 80s Metal, Thrash etc'

is somewhat misleading I admit. We discuss a lot more music than just 80s metal. Opeth, Nevermore, Symphony X and Jorn Lande are some of the popular artists here.

Actually anything with an good old school feel, meaning a certain respect for melody and good lead guitars solo's is discussed here.

It not like messages will be deleted when they are deemed 'off topic' musically by some people. The poster will probably notice that he will not get any answer to his message.

Like I said, I can imagine your confusion and you do have a point. But you are free to start any tread about 80s metal. Its just than at a certain moment in time the regulars in this forum concluded that Old School metal needed to be much more than the music of yesteryear.

There are a lot of very good bands these days. Who knows? Maybe you discover a few new good bands by hanging around here. :)

I do hope you will enjoy this forum as much as we do. And feel free to participate as much as you like.

Hawk
UMOS Moderator

I wish I could see one of these shows. I seen them a few months ago and they were awesome. They are coming to Orlando, but it's on a Tuesday so I doubt I can make that one.

These guys already have eight albums out, so they have a decent catalog. Opeth have been pretty busy over the last decade or so.

ElectricWiz said:
It's not clever, it's just a good idea. I'd love to see such a show. Let's say Sabbath, or Maiden, or even Nevermore did the same thing.....fans would love it. Obviously it would be hard with a deeper catalogue like that, but Opeth fans are DIEHARDS for sure, and they always seem to do special little things like this. Just classy in my book is all.

Actually Opeth has a catalog that is just as deep as those other bands. Opeth has 8 albums. Led Zeppelin had 8 albums. The Ozzy-era Sabbath had 8 albums. Pre-Blaze Iron Maiden had 9 albums.

Man, I must be the only one who thinks this is CRAP. I live in the NY area and I want to see Devin Townsend and Dark Tranquillity more than Opeth. Looks like I might have to make a trip to Hartford. :(