Coolest rhythms

Kuros

Feb 7, 2007
What are your favorite parts/riffs of Symphony X's songs in terms of rhythm and groove?

Just to kick it off:

Absence of Light 1:20 <- one of the catchiest rhythms ever
The intro of Evolution and also the part at 1:10
Egypt 1:15

The intro of Evolution

I was just about to post that. Definitely my favorite SX rhythm. I suppose we think alike.

I also really like the flow of In the Dragon's Den, for some reason.

COTM: 2:52-3:15
Sea of Lies: Verse Riffs
Out of the ashes: Rhythm behind the solo at 2:20.
Eyes of medusa: All of them
Accolade: You know what part I'm talking about
Fallen: Verse riffs
Egypt: Pre-verse riffs and verse riffs
Serpents Kiss: After verse parts
Shades of gray: All of them
TTLG: From 6:30 onward.. behind the singing.. so catchy and cool.

Indeed, the Fallen verse riffs are a favorite. And yes, we know what part of Accolade you're talking about.

Can only agree with ALL of the above statements, that they're truly great, but perhaps my top two favourite parts that hasn't been mentioned yet are Death of balance (all of it) and Inferno intro parts (because of it's beat complexity) and verse riff.
:worship:

And yes, we know what part of Accolade you're talking about.

Eh, actually I don't take for granted that I know for sure.
Please tell me?:oops:

Anyway, reading this topic made my day.

All the riffs r cool...these are the riffs those sound great to me :
Eve of Seduction
A Fool's Paradise
Seven
Of Sins And Shadows :headbang:

Can only agree with ALL of the above statements, that they're truly great, but perhaps my top two favourite parts that hasn't been mentioned yet are Death of balance (all of it) and Inferno intro parts (because of it's beat complexity) and verse riff.
:worship:

Eh, actually I don't take for granted that I know for sure.
Please tell me?:oops:

Anyway, reading this topic made my day.

im guessing the part that goes (lol)

nah-nah-nah-nah Nah Nah-Nah!

8:52 of Rediscovery Part II. The keyboard riff, guitar, drums...its fucking rockin'.

Also, 4:18 of King of Terrors; very Pantera-esque riff...heavy as fuck.

love this band. -sigh-

Yah, Wicked has a very cool rhythm. I'm happy someone else said the riff behind the solo in out of the ashes. One of my all time favourite symphony x moments :p

After the solo he plays only the riff.. it's so cool! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention: Almost all of Church of the Machine. Thomas Walling also has his best performance on this song.

Daaaaamn, I love this song.

Hard to say,they have tons of amazing riffs...Set The World On Fire - intro riff, The Haunting - riff at 00:50, Fallen - verse riffs, The Relic - rhytm during the solo...that's what first came to my mind...

So much stuff to cover, so I'll start with the two most recent albums.

Inferno, 0:13 - I love the main bass/drum groove; it's time is constantly shifting and it feels very chaotic yet still manages to have a recognizable "groove" (something DT has trouble doing).

Wicked, 0:05 - Obviously, this groove is sick.

Accolade II, 4:40 - This nice easy section is a great off-time bass/drum groove.

King of Terrors, 0:54 - Simple yet effective, and badass.

King of Terrors, 3:29 - Probably the most metal I've heard Symphony X get, pre-PL.

Awakenings, 3:10 (and all the verses that use this riff in different keys) - It's like a funky metal riff; it reminds me of a more intense "Gates of Babylon" (old Rainbow) groove.

The Odyssey, 8:24 - Simple groove, but metal and tight. I love how it sometimes ends in 5/8 to make it sound tense and uneasy.

The Odyssey, 9:21 - The bass playing the riff from before and the guitar being funky. Love it.

Frontiers, 1:12 (1st verse) - Shame this song didn't make the full album, because the bass groove here is awesome.

Set the World on Fire, 0:20 - Main riff of sorts; too bad they didn't use this more in the song as it kicks all sorts of ass.

Domination, 0:44 - When this groove kicks in, badassness erupts from all speakers. It's just so powerful.

Domination, 4:12 - Love this section, although I can see how some may find the guitar annoying. But the bass/piano groove is so great and sinister-sounding.

Serpent's Kiss, 0:02 - Well, obviously. The verses that follow it are great, too, but the bass should've been turned up. You can barely hear it.

Paradise Lost, 0:50 - Similar to the "Frontiers" verse in the bass/drum department, made even better by the great piano line.

Eve of Seduction, 0:46 - This is a great riff, and a great groove.

The Walls of Babylon, 1:04 - I love when the main riff goes into 6/8 here. It's a great changeup for a riff that was already badass in 4/4.

The Walls of Babylon, 1:43 - Another awesome groove. I wish they would've repeated it just once more at some point, though.

The Walls of Babylon, 2:32 - Great guitar/bass unison, and the drum groove is great.

The Walls of Babylon, 3:09 - Whenever Symphony X has a bass/drum only groove, it is bound to be great.

Seven, 5:04 - A very bare-bones guitar/bass part, but a great groove. Reminds me of the verses from "Incantations of the Apprentice," but better.

Revelation, 0:21 - Main groove that kicks ass, whether it's in F#m or Ebm (at the last chorus). The lead guitar line makes it better.

Revelation, 5:26 - This Fm groove and its under-solo variations in Abm and Cm are just old-school riffage at its finest.