Opinions on a heavier Symphony X album

PoisonSeed

Grin
Jul 9, 2003
Sweden
Visit site
What are your opinions on the next SX album being even more heavy than Odyssey (as stated by Romeo), being stripped of orchestral parts on most songs and lacking a Divine-wings-of-Tragedy-ish contribution?

On my part, I know they'll never hit the studio writing something of low quality. The new album will 98% rock everything, but if something lacks genuine orchestration, grandiose epic songs, progressive rhythms, neo-classical influences and keyboard-guitar solo dueling it aint' an authentic, patented -by appointment to her majesty the queen(of Terrors?)- 100% certified ecological Symphony X product.
Please don't forget that! :kickass:

damn.. I was hoping for a heavier album with even MORE orchestration. But The Odyssey was great so I don't really see any reasons to be worried. As long as Russell keeps singing with his beautiful clean voice enough I'm satisfied. NO growling in Symphony X :p

I go with Karelrulez on this one,
More orchestration + more heavy riffs + russel singing like he is a genuine god =

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD SX

I for myself don't have an opinion at the moment, I'll just see how things work out. The most important thing to me is that they (the band) should do what they think is best. If they think they should do a heavier album, then do so! I'll be eagerly awaiting the result.

hmm...what do i think of a heavier symphony x album...i guess that would be cool. as long as they don't stray too far from the symphony x style. i think all their albums so far have done an amazing job at mixing heavier and "lighter" stuff (light as far as metal goes, with all the orchestration and what not)

While I loved every track on the Odyssey, I felt certain heavy tracks such as The Turning, King of Terrors and Incantations of the Apprentice were less memorable than usual for Symphony X. I think that the heaviness didn't add anything to the music, unlike heavy tracks on other albums.

as long as it still has some prog in it, i'm sure that if its SX, its gonna rule. i dunno about less orchestration though. it fits real well with everything so far, and i'd like to hear more. heavier? meh. a lil heavier than the odyssey is alright, but im really hopin this doesnt turn into a Train of Thought heavy album. It needs some prog. or ... lotsa prog. :cool:

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
as long as it still has some prog in it, i'm sure that if its SX, its gonna rule. i dunno about less orchestration though. it fits real well with everything so far, and i'd like to hear more. heavier? meh. a lil heavier than the odyssey is alright, but im really hopin this doesnt turn into a Train of Thought heavy album. It needs some prog. or ... lotsa prog. :cool:

Train of Thought wasn't as heavy as The Odyssey was.

My favorite Symphony X tracks are their heavier ones, so I'm looking foward to it if it is indeed going in an even more heavier direction.

I wish Symphony X would do a more subdued album. Everyone always goes, "this is the newest, best, and heaviest work we have ever done!" Of course it would still rock, but just in a quieter way.

On the other hand it would be interesting to hear one or two songs thrashy. I could definitely see Symphony X do a kind of Forbidden approach.

Symphony X has a classical atmosphere in nearly every song, heavy or not; as long as that is around on this album I'll be quite happy. I do hope to hear more songs along the lines of The Accolade Part 2, in which heavy guitar and drums complements the emotional delivery of the lyrics.

Basically, as long as Symphony X doesn't turn into NJ hardcore or straight up thrash (though thrash elements could work very well, imagine Children of Bodom with clean singing) I'll be happy.

I usually don't get into heavy stuff if it's basic chunky mid-tempo. I think The Odyssey is a good heavier album, has an extra thickness and dark feel to it but still has a variety of tempos and dynamic playing, definitely sounds like Symphony X.

I don't expect to be disappointed in anything this band puts out.
But....if we're talking about hopes for the new CD, I would like "heavy", even "heavier", but would definitely enjoy hearing more of Pinella in some very intense, melodic, and intricate songs. I'm looking forward to anything, really.

I'll be looking forward to it whether heavy or not. I went from loving Odyssey to pretty much hating the shit out of it but anyhoo...

Sure, Odyssey is a great album. Definitely Symphony X. It's really different though. All previous albums had something in common melodically and that was the baroque'ish or neoclassical (call it what you want) progressive style of writing approach which is absent on the Odyssey. Regardless how much I bow down to the new heavy prog SX, I want back the old one...
I want back Mr Harpsichord-Pinnella :heh:

anyway, I'm sure I'll love their new shit whatsoever so wtf... :kickass: