Copy-protected cds

sknight

Are You Morbid?
How do you guys feel about them? I think they absolutely suck. They won't play properly in most machines, especially computers. What I found out is the reason they work is because they introduce errors in the bitstream that goes outside of the cd player's error correction ability, thus, you get the random skips and pops. I think it's bullshit.

The reason why I brought it to this board is because I have a finntroll cd and it didn't play right in any of my cd players, including my car stereo. At the least, the track info is all screwed up. My computer has lots of skips and pops and I can't transfer it to my minidisc. I sent Century an email and I want to see how they handle it. By law, if a cd is altered as it is with copy controlled discs, they can't use the compact disc logo, which is owned by phillips. I looked closer and my Finntroll cd doesn't have the logo, but that's not a 100% guarantee.

It's not the cd players. It's the discs. All of them. I've even tried them on friends palyers, as well as the professional/commercial units.

The cd is Jaktens Tid. Love it, but my car has a tough time with it and the track info isn't correctly displayed.

You are entirely right!

Your explaination of the skipping phenomenon is also very accurate... I have the same problem with 2 cds Blind Guardian Live and Dance Of Death... both of which I have copied on my PC with Media player but both of which always skips in MOST players... be it my personal portable cd player or my very high quality sound system...

Copy protection sucks... We shouldn't be restricted with stuff WE buy... I'm against file sharing and downloading but there is a law that allows every private users of a product to make "software" backups of any hardware material he possesses if he has both the original copy and the proof of purchase...

Copy protection shouldn't exist or at least it shouldn't alter the cd's functionality

I dont like it either. Where Im from, its actually legal to download music, because when we buy blank CD's we pay an extra, pretty damn big, tax that goes to record labels. So now we're stuck paying this tax, then buying a CD, which in turn dosent work well and we cant back up, not to mention some 10 year old kid will probably crack the CD in a couple days and distribute it online anyways.
Its kind of a joke really.

NinjaKitten said:
I dont like it either. Where Im from, its actually legal to download music, because when we buy blank CD's we pay an extra, pretty damn big, tax that goes to record labels. So now we're stuck paying this tax, then buying a CD, which in turn dosent work well and we cant back up, not to mention some 10 year old kid will probably crack the CD in a couple days and distribute it online anyways.
Its kind of a joke really.

...what's to add really ;)

the record labels have to get with the times.
protecting is useless. cause if someone can create it someone can destroy it...
i download all my music then buy it. and i get a promo CD from a band i'll rip it. usually no problems there.
CD protecting in this manner violates principle laws of fair use (as mentioned before).
i won't be against file sharing until there is a good alternative to nearly every song, TV show, movie, game, etc. i want.
i think its wrong to abuse anything. if you like it and can afford it, buy it, or at least try to support the band. too many ppl abuse file sharing, and i feel thats the problem. people also abused the lack of file sharing (companies) so who is right here? my answer is noone.

i bet everyone in the world has broken some stupid petty law in their lives. noone is 100% innocent. for example how many people here have j-walked?
what if they started fining people for this, i know they do in LA, but say NYC, where most people do it... think bout it.

There's always a way out of the copy protection thing. If you work at it long enough, and look for help with articles on the internet, there's always an answer.

Personally, I don't think file sharing, and downloading are really the problem anymore. It's CD-R's, and burning them to share with your buds. I used to be in a large CD burning ring. For example, I have one OOP disc, and I have burned it at least 40 times, because the music isn't available. I don't file share, or download. I will email a track or two here and there, or burn it.

Something as simple as holding the control + alt (don't quote me on the keys) when inserting the disc into your computer can bypass some of the BS anti copy shit. Personally, if I can't burn it, I will find a way to out of spite. How fucking dare they (music labels) not allow me my extra copy.

I do however, rarely, if ever, run my original discs. I keep them nice, and have a stack of burns with me at all times.

Larf03 said:
You are entirely right!

Your explaination of the skipping phenomenon is also very accurate... I have the same problem with 2 cds Blind Guardian Live and Dance Of Death... both of which I have copied on my PC with Media player but both of which always skips in MOST players... be it my personal portable cd player or my very high quality sound system...

Copy protection sucks... We shouldn't be restricted with stuff WE buy... I'm against file sharing and downloading but there is a law that allows every private users of a product to make "software" backups of any hardware material he possesses if he has both the original copy and the proof of purchase...

Copy protection shouldn't exist or at least it shouldn't alter the cd's functionality

My copy of Dance of Death does the same weird stuff, too, but I was able to put it on my computer, as well as download it to minidisc. It mostly doesn't display the proper track info on any player I have.

Cephalic Liquidity said:
There's always a way out of the copy protection thing. If you work at it long enough, and look for help with articles on the internet, there's always an answer.

Personally, I don't think file sharing, and downloading are really the problem anymore. It's CD-R's, and burning them to share with your buds. I used to be in a large CD burning ring. For example, I have one OOP disc, and I have burned it at least 40 times, because the music isn't available. I don't file share, or download. I will email a track or two here and there, or burn it.

Something as simple as holding the control + alt (don't quote me on the keys) when inserting the disc into your computer can bypass some of the BS anti copy shit. Personally, if I can't burn it, I will find a way to out of spite. How fucking dare they (music labels) not allow me my extra copy.

I do however, rarely, if ever, run my original discs. I keep them nice, and have a stack of burns with me at all times.

I like that you give tips and stuff but I think the original topic is that those damn things are actually malfunctionning in standard CD players... and that's the BIG issue here... I don't give a bitch's fuck for a cd that won't copy to my hard drive but when I pay good money for a damn piece of plastic I like it to play properly and not skip like motherfuck...

I just went through my copy-protected cd's and the only two that are giving me trouble are Dance Of Death and both cds of Blind Guardian live and strangely enough, all of the three are skipping somewhere on the fifth track... Is that supposed to mean anything?

Now, Will made a very good point by suggesting we'd change cd players but for fuck's sake... my sound system is about 7 years old and reads every other 601 cds I have even those that are heavily sratched... Of course, recent models might have another error detection and correction algorythm but I don't have the money to buy another so until I do, I'll give myself the right to be pissed because like everyone so nicely pointed out, those damn copy-protection are easily bypassable... and I repeat that I had ABSOLUTELY no trouble ripping all three cds on my hard drive like I do any other cds...