Copying mixer settings

Nov 15, 2007
UK, London
right recorded my first ep and copying over all the mixer settings for the different songs was a real pain, some of it sounds slightly different i mite be going crazy tho

how the hell do you guys mix every song the same

i use cubase just for the record

if i could hear a few methods it wud be so helpful

Get one song sounding as close as possible to the final mix. Save it.

Select all (ctrl/command-a), delete.

File -> back up project (or save to a new folder, depending on version).

Import wavs from the next song, save.

Repeat.

Last time I used cubase, which was actually the sx 3 days, it had a setting where you could copy track effect settings, levels, pan, and pretty much everything you would need. You basically would get everything sounding sounding good on one song and then go to each track and then right click. There you would find that option to save track settings or something. Then open up the next song and just load those settings on the corresponding track on the next song.

That's how I always did it in cubase. Someone who knows the proper procedure fill us in.

That's simple. For the second song load the first, delete all the wavs (not the tracks) and import the new wavs for the second song in the place of the first ones. Thats it. Or, delete all the wavs from the first song ad save it as a template. Then for the next song just hit new > from template and again load all the new waves.
If you have tracks arranges on another project, select them, export selected (an xml file) then in the template hit Import > track archive and thats it, all you have to do is to arrange them on the right places.

fair enough i guys i will stick with the saving and pasting on the different songs jus thought there might be another way.. easier and quicker aha

thanksss

select track in the mixer (highlight it) right click on it, save/copy channel settings

same for paste

This will work only if you have the EXACT number and types of tracks already added in the project.
Say, if you just saved mixer settings for a project with 10 tracks, 2 fx and 2 groups it willl NOt automatically load the same in the new default project. So you have first to add 10 empty tracks, 2 empty fx channels and 2 grups is order for the "load mixer settings" or load channel to work.

This will work only if you have the EXACT number and types of tracks already added in the project.
Say, if you just saved mixer settings for a project with 10 tracks, 2 fx and 2 groups it willl NOt automatically load the same in the new default project. So you have first to add 10 empty tracks, 2 empty fx channels and 2 grups is order for the "load mixer settings" or load channel to work.

I think you're confusing between Saving All Mixer settings and Saving Channel settings.

I only copy/paste single channels because of precisely what you say. Takes 2 minutes more than pasting the whole mixer but you have many more advantages.

I think you're confusing between Saving All Mixer settings and Saving Channel settings.

I only copy/paste single channels because of precisely what you say. Takes 2 minutes more than pasting the whole mixer but you have many more advantages.

I'm not confusing, but saving all mixer settings its faster for the whole project and its exact the same as saving individual channels. If you waste time saving seperate channels then you still have to create them before loading your saves. So in the end you still have to add specific tracks to project. A group channel save will not load on a regular track or a FX channel, etc.

ah yep, sorry if I misunderstood.

the very best advantage for me doing single channel savings is that I start your way but then I need to freeze when I'm on Cubase (laptop). That way is easier for me loading a channel and freezing it so it doesn't overload my system.

Once I'm mixing, I can export modifications for single channels if any, simply by unfreezing the track and reloading it for every project. It would be impossible for me changing the whole project if I had to change all mixer settings at the same time.

Yes, single channel saves work better for you in your case.
I however use some template I create, with specific group busses and specific FX sends. I do save single channel settings for use with this one, but only for the first song or non album songs. For a whole album or demo its best to create your first song, then save it as a template (no wavs in it). It will load exactly with all the mixer settings from the first one, no need to reload the settings, they are all there already.

For me it's a combination of Project Templates and Track Templates - I have a Project Template that contains all my bus structures and common plug-ins used as well as track folders used as set and ready for any project, then I use Track Templates for individual tasks that I commonly go back to such as tracking guitars and what not. Having a great set of templates that mature over time is a godsend - it can really speed up most recording/mixing tasks. Almost all items can be saved as a preset or template to make life easier as you go along - it's really a matter of find a workflow that works for each individual for each situation. I also have other templates that include everything for particular tasks such as getting a scratch track down quickly, even a template for a couple of tracks of guitar and MIDI drums when writing (however I tend to write using Riffworks as it's just so easy to get thoughts down with little to know setup.)