copyrighting music (US)

iHate

Mar 31, 2009
Has anyone copyrighted music through the US eCO website? I don't really want my personal info like my name and home address online in the public records. What do I do, don't copyright it? If I had a business address I'd put that but I don't.

Has anyone copyrighted music through the US eCO website? I don't really want my personal info like my name and home address online in the public records. What do I do, don't copyright it? If I had a business address I'd put that but I don't.
You can get a PO Box but if you have drivers license or passport or pay taxes or own any property your address already is in the public record.
However, if you have a recorded record of your songs and some proof of creation date then you are already protected by copyright laws.

You can't just assume your "proof of creation date" - whatever that is - will hold up in court. There are rumored tricks like mailing yourself a copy and the postmark will be proof enough. Not true. If you want to copyright your songs, fill out the forms and do it right. That's the only way to know for sure that you have a legal copyright.

In most European countries your work is protected under copyright laws by the very moment intellectual property has been created in an artistic process (a bit simplified). This used to be different in the US, mostly because the focus on copyright is fundamentally different there. In practice though, especially since US copyright has been adjusted to that principle a few years ago, there's not so much of a difference any more.

Other people's advise is right though, the burden of proof may be upon you and depending on the quality of the (faux-)evidence of the opposing party, "soft evidence" (timestamps, postmarks etc.) may not be sufficient (even though it will be in numerous cases).

Alternatively to officially signing your work you can do this: Take a copy of your work (and eventual documentation) and send/bring it to a notary to have him store it and sign it off. You'll most probably have to pay for this service, but it's a viable alternative to signing your work up.

Also keep in mind that whatever you do, you'll never be 100% protected from claims, because if somebody is able to proof that he or she has created a certain melody or lyric before you, you're still tangible for claims under all circumstances.

Your name (which, believe me, is already in plenty of public records and doesn't seem to have gotten you abducted yet) may be the only thing shown in a USCO catalog entry, and if you use a band name you may not even have your name shown. Look up a few works to find out - you have to dig a little deeper to get personal information like what you're afraid of compromising. A PO Box can be used to give another layer of pain-in-the-ass, but information on such boxes can be obtained if you're doing business with the public. If you really want to be paranoid, call a lawyer and see if they can put you in touch with people who can handle your copyright claims (and ease the burden of such large numbers in your bank accounts). I wouldn't worry about that too much, to be honest - far more information (SSN, some legal documents, and - depending on your location and employer - possibly your wages) is already public.

EDIT: To clarify... while technically the information you submit does become public record, in practice it's going to be a bit of a pain in the ass for someone to track you down with it. Going through a PO box makes it necessary to file another claim to obtain more information on you. Having someone else handle the work will be pricey (and you'll definitely want to read contracts carefully) but could shield you even more. It is not a good idea to use a pseudonym on legal documents, but with a little work you can keep yourself out of the way by getting your band name and either a PO box or other agency's contact information on the paperwork.

If you don't plan on slight complications in the event that you have to file federal suits over use of your work, you can publish anonymously (carefully read the USCO 'anonymous/pseudonymous works' bits in the page describing the application process, as there are tricky bits). As much as I hate to involve lawyers in anything, they can come in handy if you're really concerned about the possibility of infringement-related legal pooch-screwing and can answer questions like these with more detail (and help bail you out if something bad happens).

Jeff

Ah ok thanks, I had been searching through copyrights when I asked this and I could see the addresses of certain Copyright Claimants, but not all. I just assumed that all claimant info would appear as I would enter it in the system including contact info. I searched for some more and found that's not the case.

So only names will appear under the claimant?

I'm not paranoid about being abducted, I've just never done this shit before and thought I'd ask before I do anything.

The information will technically become public record; whether anyone will care is another story. If you look up entries in the online copyright database you'll just see a name; I can't say I've every copyright-stalked anyone by trying to get more out of the copyright office, though, so ask someone creepier if you're curious.

Jeff