CD Pressing/Copyrighting/Label hunting etc

gorath23

Feb 6, 2008
Are there any threads relating to post-recording? I'd search but I guess it could be listed under anything. I'm particularly interested in the ramifications of copyrighting and protecting your music before (if) you get signed. Considering that it will be sent off to various companies after it has been mastered as part of the 'process' of getting signed. Is it something to be worried about? Also, how do you avoid leakage of tracks? I'm confident that the mastering engineer is a decent guy, but anything I should wary of?

I'm also compiling a list of 'metal' labels to send my album to. I'm trying to be realistic. Its a one-man studio project so I can't see Roadrunner/Nuclear Blast etc being interested (probably not 'metal' enough anyway). The band is loosely Progressive Dark Metal.

Here are the likely candidates so far, any others I should consider? Some are obviously more ambitious than others (Peaceville, yeah.....).

Season of Mist
Profound Lore
Candlelight
Peaceville
Firebox
Vendlus
The End
Jester Records
Spinefarm
Aftermath Music
Solitude Productions
Prophecy
At A Loss Recordings
Cyclone Empire
Southern Lord
Red Stream Records
Drakkar Entertainment
Mnemosyne Productions

I'm also putting together a promo pack. Are photos a real necessity (silly question really). I just had a quote from a photohouse, they want minimum of £350 for a shoot :eek:

Can't believe there isn't a sticky on this stuff.

Because it doesn't have anything to do with andy sneap, music production, mixes or equipment.

True but it seems to be a natural progression, don't you think? I know there are quite a few members on here with record deals, or aspiring towards one. I know Egan O'Rourke posts on here for starters. I would imagine many of the pro and semi-pro engineers on here will have experience working with labels and bands in similar situations.

If you'd like to suggest somewhere else I could ask then I would appreciate that.

Not really, since 95% of the bands are not signed based on the sent demos. But you might want to read this: http://www.rockband.com/zine/getting_signed

Thanks, theres a few handy tips in there. Plus it's helpful knowing that I will find it tough being signed only off a CD. Theres no way around me getting signed (or not) off the demo as its a studio project- I can't play live. But then quite a few of my favourite bands started that way too. Agalloch, Empyrium, The Fall of Every Season for example.

I do have some nice media/press plaudits and accolades from my previous demo though.

From my personal experience, record labels dont give two shits about promo packs and all the junk mail crap they get. I've only signed a few contracts but I can say that when Brian Slagel CEO of Metal Blade Records gave my band a tour of their facility in southern california, we were shown the mail room in which they had roughly 20-30 thousand packages from bands all over the world. Brian said that if anyone ever gets board at the office they go though the room a grab some random shit and spin the discs to get a laugh. No joke, they really dont give a shit. Bottom line is, if a record label wants YOU the will come to YOU.

From my personal experience, record labels dont give two shits about promo packs and all the junk mail crap they get. I've only signed a few contracts but I can say that when Brian Slagel CEO of Metal Blade Records gave my band a tour of their facility in southern california, we were shown the mail room in which they had roughly 20-30 thousand packages from bands all over the world. Brian said that if anyone ever gets board at the office they go though the room a grab some random shit and spin the discs to get a laugh. No joke, they really dont give a shit. Bottom line is, if a record label wants YOU the will come to YOU.

I can fully appreciate that, but like I said, I have no way round that. Studio-only bands DO get signed though. Smaller labels with smaller budgets. Agalloch normally have to fund their own studio time etc. I'm mainly looking for a label that will distribute the CD and help a little with PR. I don't see myself being approached (or approaching) Metal Blade. I understand how they operate, and I don't fit into that. Like I said, Candlelight, Spinefarm, Firebox etc are all massively optimistic. I would be more looking towards Vendlus, The End, Solitude Prod. etc, who obviously sign some bands off demos because they don't play live.

I wouldn't send out random stuff to labels. It's better to try to make some polite email contact explaining stuff with a link to an EPK and offer to send them a physical package as well. Also, try to meet actual human beings that work at the label (online, @shows, whatever)--even if it's the guy in the mail room. If you can put a name on the front of the package vs "A+R" it will exponentially increase your chances of getting somewhere.The biggest hurdle is simply getting heard.

I wouldn't send out random stuff to labels. It's better to try to make some polite email contact explaining stuff with a link to an EPK and offer to send them a physical package as well. Also, try to meet actual human beings that work at the label (online, @shows, whatever)--even if it's the guy in the mail room. If you can put a name on the front of the package vs "A+R" it will exponentially increase your chances of getting somewhere.The biggest hurdle is simply getting heard.

Thank you Egan. It's great you take the time to help others out. EPK: Electronic Press Kit right? I shall try and build a contact list for the various labels.

I am not completely sure it is worth it anymore. Typically labels only want bands that are already doing pretty well. For starting out, I would just do it on your own. CDbaby and such will make your music much more accessible than most labels can.

Most of the smaller labels I see really can only get you good deals on duplication, or recording time, or merch. But if you aren't playing live, what's the point? Or you can just as easily drop some cash on artwork, some shirts, and CD's, then just sell them on your own.

Of course after paying copyrights and such. But that way you keep all the profits and start getting your name out on your own. It is going to cost you that much just in postage and you still have to do the artwork and such anyway.

I see the point once they approach you, tours and connections and such. But seeking one out... meh... good luck. I know bands that have 2 CD's and tour regularly, and draw decent crowds... no labels. If you are really set on being on a label, just start your own :) Or find a local one. Go see some local bands and talk to them, it would be a good start anyway.

Ok cool, so is the general consensus that you really don't need a label anymore? I guess I should investigate online promotors/distributors more. I had always thought of them as promotional tools, but promotional only, not as the final stop for actually selling and distributing. Hmm, good stuff.

It's all about who you know and how hard you're willing to work. If you're a touring band then maybe you should consider a label based on only a few elements that might be challenging to do yourself (not impossible though). Unfortunately a lot of shitty bands get signed because they're willing to slave on the road, are friends with record company staff, and proven success w/ self-marketing. Press kits should still be sent as it physically does spread your music around, just don't become dependent on that as your only means to reach stardom.

Maybe this helps a bit:

I sent my submission to one of the labes you posted, first, as Egan said, i sent a polite email asking if that was the correct address to send a demo, in less than an hour i recieved a response "Yes! this is the correct addres", so i though "cool that was fast maybe they really are looking for new bands this way" so i sent them all (Short Bio, Pictures and a Song) and this was the response (it was fast too):

"Hi

Thanks for the demo submission, but we decided not to sign any new / developing act at the moment and only focus on established act. Right now, developing acts is simply commercial suicide – everybody is downloading and when somebody buys a CD, it’s name acts only, leaving us with no choice.

We wish it would be otherwise – and that we could do our job of “talent finder”, which is actually what labels are supposed to be for… But that’s the way things are now.

Regards"

Maybe this helps a bit:

I sent my submission to one of the labes you posted, first, as Egan said, i sent a polite email asking if that was the correct address to send a demo, in less than an hour i recieved a response "Yes! this is the correct addres", so i though "cool that was fast maybe they really are looking for new bands this way" so i sent them all (Short Bio, Pictures and a Song) and this was the response (it was fast too):

"Hi

Thanks for the demo submission, but we decided not to sign any new / developing act at the moment and only focus on established act. Right now, developing acts is simply commercial suicide – everybody is downloading and when somebody buys a CD, it’s name acts only, leaving us with no choice.

We wish it would be otherwise – and that we could do our job of “talent finder”, which is actually what labels are supposed to be for… But that’s the way things are now.

Regards"

Thanks a lot for posting this, it makes total sense, and it's really cool of the label to actually answer you in that way. May I ask what Label this was?

My band has submitted CD's to labels off suggestions of others, and all of the labels we submitted to replied to us in writing. Most of them just had
"A&R" as the contact for the label, some had names. Metal Blade was actually the first to respond. They asked us to keep submitting material...Don't know if that was a copy pasta reply or not, though.

My band just got signed by SPV by simply sending them a demo.
You have to have a little bit of luck, too. They were searching for new bands and we were right on time with our demo.

Depending on what you want to achieve a label is the most important factor when starting to develop a career. You won´t get a good booking agency without a label for example.
But I guess in your case as a one-man band things are a little bit different. It will be very hard to get a label at all. Everybody will tell you to get a band together to perform live as this is still the most important thing in the scene. You can´t download a concert. ;)

Well, having done some research the last day or two, it seems to be a much better route as a non-touring, developing band to self-launch and promote the CD myself. I wasn't aware of the scope of websites/companies like CDBaby- enabling me to have a shopfront in the US and also sell on iTunes, Amazon and Rhapsody. Then self-promotion through Myspace, Facebook, Spotify, LastFM, Reverbnation etc etc. This actually seems to be a much better way of launching the album. I'm struggling to see what a label (especially a small one) would be able to offer me beyond what I can already do myself? I proved with my last demo it wasn't too hard to get reviewed, even by national magazines. I'm not too bothered about trying to secure distro with actual physical shops, everybody seems to buy from the internet these days.

The final hurdle is setting up a personal website. I've never thought this to be that important given the number of social networking sites (Myspace pages), but what do you guys think. An invaluable tool to have? I hardly ever visit bands websites, I always use Myspace, but maybe I'm not typical of the average consumer. How many of you buy CD's/ Merch direct from the bands website?

My band just got signed by SPV by simply sending them a demo.
You have to have a little bit of luck, too. They were searching for new bands and we were right on time with our demo.

Depending on what you want to achieve a label is the most important factor when starting to develop a career. You won´t get a good booking agency without a label for example.
But I guess in your case as a one-man band things are a little bit different. It will be very hard to get a label at all. Everybody will tell you to get a band together to perform live as this is still the most important thing in the scene. You can´t download a concert. ;)

Its just not going to happen as a live band. I started down this path 3 years ago because I couldn't find anybody with similar musical direction. I don't live in a big city and I don't have any sort of network of people (you know what I mean) that I can draw upon to find other musicians. I've tried looking for people online, but then distance becomes an issue. So in one respect, this really negates the label, I don't need managing, booking, touring etc.

And as for being the most important thing in the scene, maybe. I haven't seen 90% of the bands in my CD rack live. I didn't hear about them through gigs, I heard them online. I use Myspace, Youtube and LastFM a LOT, and nearly everything I've gotten into over the last few years has come from here. I would say these are massive promotional tools.

I usually use Myspace to listen to bands, and there are a lot of bands still using Myspace as their main/only website.

I usually buy my CD's from local/chain stores...Everything else I tend to buy from the label's website, not the band's.

I've used CD Baby for my band's last 2 CD's and just signed our latest release up (coming out at the end of the month) on CDBaby. CD Baby has changed ownership since our last release, but everything so far has stayed the same. Customer service is great, payments to me are on time, and digital distro placement is there. Granted, it takes a bit of time to get up and running with digital distro, but I think that's as much the services fault and not so much CD Baby's. iTunes seems to take a good while.