Couple of new post/melodic metal/rock songs!

exzem

May 4, 2009
Sweden
Hey!

Used to post a couple of mixes/songs in here a while ago. However, been a bit lazy in terms of uploading stuff lately.

Anyway, in case someone is interested I uploaded a couple of new songs today, mostly post/melodic metal/rock (I guess... whatever that means anyway :)).

Maybe someone likes any of them. As always, happy to hear any suggestions in improving mix/sound or any general advise! Check it out:

I also put a couple of electronic songs as well, but I guess that wouldn't fit here :D: https://soundcloud.com/carl-jonsson

Cheers
Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I'm always a fan of your work.

The first tune is the one I like the most. Very nice one.

Regarding the sound, I think it sounds good but maybe too many guitars on the choruses. It chokes the sound a bit with all that distorsion. Maybe lowering the gain a tad. I miss some bass, too.

Hey Gato, thanks!

Yeah I guess you're right, I usually tend to go overboard with the amount of layers. I guess sometimes less is more :D
Never too sure about the proper level of the bass, don't really have any monitoring equipment that I really trust for the lower frequencies, so mostly guess work..

Grr... Soundcloud wants me to pay them to upload new versions of a track!

Hey Gato, thanks!

Yeah I guess you're right, I usually tend to go overboard with the amount of layers. I guess sometimes less is more :D
Never too sure about the proper level of the bass, don't really have any monitoring equipment that I really trust for the lower frequencies, so mostly guess work..

Grr... Soundcloud wants me to pay them to upload new versions of a track!

Are the guitars amp sims? Perhaps that's the reason why they layer so noisy, maybe just automate the gain. But yes, I'm going back to less guitars for definition, just a matter of taste I guess.

Bass leveling/balance is perfectly doable on cans if you know them. Some pros do this AFAIK.

Cheers.

Don't change anything with your sounds. It sounds awesome, and I love the dynamics behind it all. During the chorus, it does sound highly compressed (mainly your drums). Judging by your master, it sounds like you went for a brick-wall limit master. That is fine, but master your track during the loudest portion (your chorus), so its loud but not overly compressed. Then use automation on your tracks to maintain that illusion of dynamics in your song during the more quiet portions while maintaining a high RMS.

Generally when I do metal songs, I set my tracks to peak @ about -12db, maybe -18db RMS per track. Combined mix is usually about -15db RMS, and the avg peak is about -12db (toms spike up to -6db). These numbers may not work for you, as I can afford the added gain to my guitars, but maintaining a constant RMS works better with most compressor to maintain an even mix. Ultimately your ear has the final say.

Kudos on the great work

El Gato, I love your sig: "Don't ask what your gear can do for you, but what you can do for your gear." So true.