Covers Album, Vol. 2 Wish list

beowulf1969

Aug 21, 2011
Since the covers album is entitled "...Part The First", that can only mean that somewhere down the road there may be a "Part the Second". If that's the case, what songs would you like to hear Redemption cover? In keeping with the spirit of the first one, these should be songs you wouldn't expect to hear them covering (i.e., not other prog songs).

One of the first things that comes to my mind is another Elton John song, "Grey Seal". That would definitely be interesting!

Who else?

That WOULD be funky-sounding! I never really thought about the 80s/90s dance/electronic music. The Smith's "How Soon Is Now"? Or even some "True Faith" by New Order. I bet "True Faith" would be a total trip!!!

"True Faith" could be amazing. A Genesis song would be cool too, I think. Phil Collins-era, of course. Haha. "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" maybe? I'd love to hear how they'd work that one.

Anyway. My top 3 choices:
Sarah McLachlan - Sweet Surrender
Def Leppard - Bringing On the Heartbreak
The Police - Spirits in the Material World

Police could be cool. "Synchronicity II" is one of my favs.
I'd love to hear some old Genesis or Kansas' "Magnum Opus", but I would still consider that "proggish".

Forgive my ignorance, but I only found the Redemption forum just now to find any info on a US tour...Is there a covers album by Redemption out there somewhere already or is this an upcoming thing? Someone please enlighten me because I would love to hear them cover some non prog-metal songs!

This Mortal Coil was released in two versions. If you buy the limited edition, it comes with a bonus disc with 6 cover songs.

And sadly, no news or plans for a US tour. Ray is about to "disappear" for a while to work on a new Fates Warning album (according to Nick), so the chances of a Mortal Coil tour is slim to none. :cry:

I will say that we have considered and/or actually recorded a good amount of what has been mentioned here...I don't want to give any spoilers away but there are some songs that would be strong contenders if/when we do another covers CD.

Some of them have seemingly been done to death, though...both the Smiths and Depeche Mode songs are great and I'd love to do them but I'm not sure they are all that unique at this point...

Oh, awesome. In that case, I hope it's more of a when than an if. Pretty much everything mentioned is interesting to me.

Yeah, "Enjoy the Silence" especially has kind of been done to death, but I suppose it could still be unique if you play with the arrangement a bit more than usual.

Here are some covers I would love to hear. Any of these would be nice.

Don't Take Me For A Loser - GARY MOORE
Room A Thousand Years Wide - SOUNDGARDEN
Voyager - GAMMA
Beth - KISS
Black Diamond - KISS
The Wall - KANSAS
Lay It On The Line - TRIUMPH
Makin' Magic - PAT TRAVERS BAND
Space Station #5 - MONTROSE
Blackout - SCORPIONS
Burning Heart - VANDENBURG
Miss America - STYX
Tell Me What You Want - ZEBRA
25 Or 6 To 4 - CHICAGO
Saturday In The Park - CHICAGO
Close To You - CARPENTERS
One Of These Nights - EAGLES
More Than A Feeling - BOSTON
My Sharona - THE KNACK
Moonlight Feels Right - STARBUCK
Reelin' In The Years - STEELY DAN

I could keep going for days.

Man, I think 25 or 6 to 4 would be outstanding! And The Wall would be killer. I'm trying to just think of something even more unlikely (without going so far to the extreme, like The Carpenters or something). I'll have to ponder this a bit more. But I like the list, King.