Covers suggestions to the band.

Postmodernist

Yachad el ha'or
Apr 12, 2008
antonsaysdotcom.livejournal.com
Greetings ye orphans,

In heavy metal it's a long good tradition to record unique and/or crazy tributes and covers of other bands' masterpieces.

Whatever the OL guys touch becomes a new unique masterpiece - just remember their cover of Paradise Lost's "Mercy" - colorful and Middle Eastern, their live renditions of "Estarabim", "Ah Ellada, S'Agapo", "Cantare", as well as their brilliant arrangements of traditional songs ("El Meod Na'Ala", "Nora El Norra", "Sapari").

I would like to suggest posting here titles (+performers) of songs that you consider really worth being covered by Orphaned Land.
Both songs peculiar (symbolic) to different countries and songs having this doom/oriental/spiritual flavour that OL could reflect in new coloring.

PS: I think it would be nice to additionally include YouTube (or other) links to the songs.

My first cover suggestion would be "Nomad" by Iron Maiden:

The 'oriental' guitar riffs from this song could be magically enhanced by Middle Eastern traditional instruments. And I can imagine Kobi's voice chanting the lyrics in his original manner:

Legend has it that you speak an ancient tongue
But no ones spoke to you and lived to tell the tale

Last edited by a moderator:
My next suggestion for their tours in Russia would be a metal arrangement of Russian traditional "Kalinka-malinka":

It includes both slow and fast passages, uses fast stringed instrument playing manner, and besides the lyrics is very simple to memorize :)
The song is about love, by the way: something like "Oh beauty, maiden of my soul, please love me. Kalinka-the raspberry, make the bed for me under the green pine-tree" etc.

A German band already did something like that, but I think OL can do it better! You know, "Balalaika was developed from a 2-stringed chordophone originally used by Jews living in the Pale in Little Russia." (Wiki)

(the nicest Kalinka-Malinka part starts at 2:30)

ok , check this out guys !!! Mike Brant the most famous Israeli singer !!!

I guess that Kobi will understand easily what I mean !!!
So funny, hey my friend you have to sing for the next show in France, You started it but you didn't finish last time :lol::lol::lol::lol::heh::heh::heh:

PS: I'm so stupid :heh:

Then, I hope to see you soon in France. When I'm drunk, I promise you, I sing very well: "Laisse moi t'aimer toute une nuit. Laisse moooiiiii ......"
As usual, I'm so stupid ! :)

@ Kobi : maybe u could try a slower one like "a thousand kisses deep " by your master Leonard cohen

and i have a feeling maidens clans man would sound great too

We wanted to cover Cohen's "First we take manhattan" on this recordings but we have too many songs to record now, so it is delayed.
Covering the Cohen is something I'll do for sure someday.

Thanks for your replies Kobi!
Just one more suggestion - doing Dream Theater covers. I know that Matti adores them, and I can clearly hear "dreamtheaterish" style in the concluding part of "A Call to Awake (The Quest)".
Maybe, their orientalish "Home" would be really good:

I'm stuck with "Mercy" so i can't think of anything right now other than "Paradise Lost"...or maybe "Gothic" with the "Mercy" lyrics...:kickass:

Nice suggestion as well!!! The more i think of it the most i like the idea of listening a cover song performed in the OL way combining Oriental with Spanish musical culture!!!

True. You know, Spanish traditional music evolved from music of Mauritians (Marocco and Middle East): "It is generally acknowledged that flamenco grew out of the unique interplay of native Arabic, Andalusian, Jewish Sephardic, and Gypsy cultures that existed in Andalusia prior to and after the Reconquest." (Wiki, flamenco)

Nice info, thanks for sharing!!! Then for sure it is better this way!;) Just thought of a Spanish band called User Ne. Not my best of the album but you can sense the culture in there!

i'd like it if the guys would cover something from Mike Oldfield, for example 'Sentinel':

or 'Brothers In Arms' from Dire Straits:

quite interesting would be a cover of 'Le'or Chiyuchech', a song sung in hebrew by the german band In Extremo

i'd like to hear the lyrics with proper pronunciation :-D