Covert before or after

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
Hey quick question when converting triggers and audio to midi to use with superior or whatever do you guys generally convert first than quantize the midi and audio together or do you do it last after all the audio is already quantized ? I use trigger to convert but sometimes if I do it after I have already quantized the midi track rendered by trigger won't be sample accurate to the original tracks (I'm not using the new midi capture system btw)

and ps lol @ iphone title is obviously supposed to be *Convert....

He's asking whether you convert to midi and then edit, or edit first and then convert to midi.

cent73 said:
I wish I could understand what you're trying to say...

I don't get it this is like the third time someone has said this about my posts I'm a native English speaker do I just use too much slang? :/

But yeah do you convert your drums to midi before or after they are quantized was what I was trying to say

He's asking whether you convert to midi and then edit, or edit first and then convert to midi.

I was suspecting that was it.

I don't get it this is like the third time someone has said this about my posts I'm a native English speaker do I just use too much slang? :/

If you could just use some punctuation and capital letters that'd be much easier to read :)

Now back to your question. I usually slip-edit the drums, but recently I used Drumtracker to convert the kick to MIDI. Then I quantized it in Cubase, randomized a bit not to make is sound like a machine gun and finally used the Logical editor to vary the velocities.

I had no idea ppl were converting kits to MIDI? I can understand maybe a kick on really bad instances. But either do a fully programmed drum part or record real drums, use slip editing and trigger (only the shells) through a drum replacer ie. Drumagog.

Triggering from midi gives better results, that's why you find guys converting to MIDI. It's really cool if you want to use Superior samples and rooms too. :headbang:

I convert all my drums to midi in most cases. (unless I'm reaching for that more raw production)

I convert first and edit the midi. then I freeze the midi tracks I've created to get a print of the wave forms.
I then align the original take with the printed waveform.
this method allows for you to easily have a guide waveform so that you don't have to spend tons of time editing audio since I can fix up a midi track twice as fast as I do audio when it comes to metal songs.

so now you have the midi tracks triggering samples from, say, Superior, that are time accurate. and an original audio track that is also time accurate.
you can then reapply trigger from there.

cake.