CRADLE OF FILTH Begin Mixing New Album With ANDY SNEAP - July 22, 2006

Pman

Feb 18, 2006
UK
www.facebook.com
British extreme metallers CRADLE OF FILTH have begun mixing their new album, "Thornography", at Backstage Studios in Derbyshire, England with producer Andy Sneap (MACHINE HEAD, SKINLAB, NEVERMORE). And what would a CRADLE OF FILTHrecord be without a visit from one Doug Bradley — a.k.a. "Hellraiser"'s chief Cenobite, Pinhead? Having already put his narrative stamp on such older CRADLE OF FILTH classics as "Her Ghost in the Fog" and "Swansong for a Raven", Doug Bradley has been in the studio this week recording narraration for "Thornography". Check out a photo of Sneap, CRADLE OF FILTH members Dani Filth (vocals) and Paul Allender (guitar), Dani's daughter Luna, and Bradley at this location.

As previously reported, CRADLE OF FILTH have posted the cover artwork for their new album, entitled "Thornography", at this location.

"Thornography" is scheduled for release on September 19 via Roadrunner Records. Songtitles set to appear on the CD include "Libertina Grim", "Tonight in Flames", "Cemetery and Sundown", "I Am the Thorn", "The Byronic Man" (featuring guest vocals from H.I.M.'s Ville Valo) and "Temptation".

The follow-up to 2004's "Nymphetamine", "Thornography" was recorded at Lincolnshire, England's Chapel studios with producer Rob Caggiano (BLEEDING THROUGH, ANTHRAX).

On the subject of the album's musicial direction, CRADLE OF FILTH guitarist Paul Allender recently told Terrorizer magazine, "There are quite a few guitar solos on this album. To be honest, I've never really classed myself as a lead player as such, but this is the first time I've sat down and seriously practiced lead work. I've been so involved in actually writing new material and coming up with song structures that I haven't had time to practice all the frilly things that go on top of it. Up 'till now, there hasn't really been much room for guitar solos as such. The riffs we write, they're not riffs that are meant to be soloed on top of. They're melodic within themselves. But I'm a great believer than less is definitely more. I love listening to all the shreddy, widdly stuff, but I have no interest in playing it. This new album is quite guitar-orientated. The last album was, but this is definitely more melodic. Dare I say it, there are quite a lot of typical MAIDEN-esque harmonies in there."

On the idea that the band now have almost nothing in common with traditional balck metal, Allender told Terrorizer, "Everyone's gonna hate me for saying this, but I didn't think we had in the first place. The only thing that catered to that was the make-up. That's it. People say, 'Blah blah, sellouts, not true black metal,' but we were never a black metal band in the first place. Even when 'The Principle of Evil Made Flesh' [1994] came out — you look at EMPEROR and BURZUM and all that stuff — we didn't sound nothing like that. The way that I see it is that we were, and still are now, an extreme heavy metal band."
cradledoug1.jpg

Not a fan of COF (I gave up after "vempire") but I'm curious to hear it. Maybe they'll have a decent sound for the first time...

Sort of expected the production to be, but it's great to hear that about the music. Nymphetamine was good, but something was still missing for me, it wasn't quite "evil" enough, as Midian and older releases were.