Crane Song Spider

Anyone one besides Andy using one?

I'm about ready to put a deposit on one, lead time is 6 to 9 MONTHS! :cry:

I only have one concern and at this point I'll probably buy one regardless but, since the crane song converters will pretty much destroy anything but possibly prisms or radars, I'm going to want to use them for my other pres. Most of the time I'll want to save as much of the original pres character as possible so I'd rather not go the spiders inputs, even as a line amp.

Looking at the signal flow chart in the spider manual it seams you should be able to feed a unbalanced signal through the insert return right in to the converters. Has anyone tried this?

As Andy said, the line ins are fine. I don't notice any real coloration there when using other pre's. That said, the Spider's pre's are great too.

Andy, Have you ever a/b ed the two. I know the line inputs wouldn't make it sound worse. Maybe even better, just different.

Any tips and tricks you could share? How often do you use the "fat" switches and digital tape emulation?

I heard some rough mixed guitar tracks James re-amped at you place through the Krankenstein and the Spider and it was of the first things that sold me on both pieces of gear.

daveotero said:
I heard some rough mixed guitar tracks James re-amped at you place through the Krankenstein and the Spider and it was of the first things that sold me on both pieces of gear.
andy set it all up.. i just gave my opinion on the sound and actually ran the tracks into PT after we were both happy. \m/

Although it costs a lot all at once, if you actually look at it the Spider is amazing value. It basically is 8 channels of great mic pre's, tape emulation, and fantastic AD converters for less than a grand each, and a very clear summing bus and additional output for no extra dough. Really flexible and perfectly thought out, like the rest of Crane Song's products.

daveotero said:
I'm about ready to put a deposit on one, lead time is 6 to 9 MONTHS! :cry:

I had the same problem ordering an STC-8 compressor. Aparently crane song has a huge numbers of orders at the moment.

So I changed my mind, getting some Lavry converters instead, compressor can wait.

daveotero said:
Best price I found was at soundpure.com

I've never bought through them before but they get good feedback on gearsluts and they're cool as hell on the phone.

I put down $500 to get on the list (currently in 3rd place :Smug: )

go here to get your quote...

They are based where I live and are strictly mailorder. I've had pretty good luck with them.