Preamp Test: Crane Song Digi 002 Focusrite

The Spider does stand out quite a bit and so does the 002 in another way ;)

Still, I can't justify spending that much for the last piece of the chain when the biggest difference is always closer to the source. The Harley Benton clip at the end proves it.

It's down to your priorities, you either get a crappy representation of something good or you get a good representation of crap.

Of course once you've taken care of the source, it makes perfect sense to invest in something like the Crane. Personally, I would have invested in better monitors first.

+1 to Glenn, btw.

That renders the test irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.... it's not a preamp comparison, but a performance comparison.

To record a true preamp shootout, you'd have to use the same mics, converters & performance... ...only changing preamps from track to track. ...AND you'll have to level match as well.

If you reamped, you might be a little bit shocked by how little difference there is between preamps

Well you can still here a difference there, cant you?? Just when you listen to what frequencys change between the takes, transient response etc.

@shadow walker

I agree with you man, i just feel that i have good decent microphones, and i felt that i needed to ugprade the pre's. I know it wont make a crucial improvement , but if you want high end, every piece of the chain matters :) I am happy with my monitors, i trust what i hear, and i dont get any surprises moving my mixes to different systems.

But i still gonna post some drums samples, with same microphones, but different takes.. even if it's not an accurate test Glenn ;)

i spent less than a minute and the 002 pre would sound fine in a mix! jst the standard HP at around 70 and a little boost around 8k, in the mix it won't make too much of a difference!

Well said metaljonesy!
I think the digi002 is not really so bad as all claims.
I proved many times in this forum I got some great results with the digi002 and the digi003.
Of course there's better stuff but I don't need a 8000$ pre to make my recordings stellar.
Api is still badass and costs a lot less.

keep in mind you get 8 channels plus quality a/d for those 8k....well actually it's 6,5k over here. 2 4 channel api 3124 will cost you 5k too, minus the quality a/d.

of course, you won't see me (or most people on here lol) run out and grab a 6,5k piece of equipment anytime soon (i'd rather get a new car as of right now, LOL), but if you're serious about it and are running good business it's not all that expensive.

Yeah i thought about that, but when for example the A/D is included in the package as in the Spider case, is it not fair to use the spiders a/d?? That was one of the reasons i bought it.. the complete package :)

I understand but isn't viable for an pre shoutout:lol:
Seriously, I never try any cranesong ADC but according from what I hear about (comment and clip) I'm sure this have same quality level than Mytek/Lavry...etc.
Just different sound color. And choice about sound color isn't plenty to talk imo.;)