002 vs 003

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
I currently have a Digi 003 control surface, looking at selling off and getting a rackmounted version for portability and live recordings.
I was thinking I would just get a 003R, but have been looking at a couple of 002Rs for about half the price - haven't used one before so don't know much about them. Are there any disadvantages?

I run a Focusrite Octopre into my 003 via ADAT so that is imperative, but as far as I know thats all good for the 002 also.

Any advice would be appreciated

I think he means they're dropping support for the 002, but I can't see that. They've only just dropped the original mbox on version 8. The 002 is still widely used in many project studios. They'd be killing off a lot of customers by doing that, but I guess they'd hope a lot of people would upgrade to the 003.

I'd likely just buy an Mbox 2, record in Reaper with my 002 and edit in PT whatever with the Mbox 2.

the 002r are not support as far as i know with pt le 8.04

it was just XP that wasnt going to be supported after this update, i wasn't aware it was the hardware aswell?

i used 8.0.4 for a day then reverted back to 8.0.3cs2 as the new update was full of bugs!

from Avid:

"The newly released Pro Tools 8.0.4 software for M-Powered and LE will be the last version of Pro Tools to support the XP operating system for Windows-based computers. Future versions of Pro Tools M-Powered and LE software will no longer be compatible with XP-based machines. However, Pro Tools 8.0.4 will continue to be made available in its current form to Avid customers who are still using the Windows XP operating system for the foreseeable future. Additionally, product and support documentation will continue to be maintained on the Pro Tools Support site"

no mention of the 002 becoming a legacy piece of hardware yet!

...but still... they both suck at one point - Direct monitoring...*blaarghhhhh*

...but still... they both suck at one point - Direct monitoring...*blaarghhhhh*

what do you mean?
run it at 64 or 128 playback engine . easy.
I've been doing it Professionally this way for 5 years. I fucking hate those fiddly control panels you get on software mixers. not to mention having to constantly mute and unmute shit on them.
P.T kicks arse

what do you mean?
I've been doing it Professionally this way for 5 years. I fucking hate those fiddly control panels you get on software mixers. not to mention having to constantly mute and unmute shit on them.
P.T kicks arse

+1, I never ever ever ever use the direct monitoring on my Profire. Way too much of a hassle to set up each session and balance levels between what I'm tracking and what's coming out of the DAW. Just record at a low buffer and do everything in the DAW, saves a lot of fucking time and effort.

what do you mean?
P.T kicks arse

Yes PT kicks arse indeed... i like it, but i would like it more with proper monitoring! ...well, i'm only angry because i have a slow computer and can track max 2 tracks at 64buffer ... so that's why im pissed. :oops:
What CPU do u have?