Preamp Test: Crane Song Digi 002 Focusrite

in comparison to the spider one, it is.
actually, it's even crappy compared to the focusrite :D

Yeah the 002 pre really does suck compared to both of those, and I'm not usually one to jump on the boutique gear bandwagon :/

That being said, I would be totally happy with the Octopre in comparison (actually am happy with mine aside from the lack of pads!) to the 002 and the marginal difference between the Octopre and Spider isn't enough to have me gassing for a Crane Song. Sounds great though!

Thanks for this test but sorry if my post turn into typical gearslutz replying:worship:

How have you set each pre? Odbvu I suppose but imo isn't a pre test but more a pre/ADC test...
I suppose that this test had to be a real ordeal for match all ADC to same unity gain...

Btw...
I also tried a Mytek DAC96 = a 2 channel D/A and i must say that i've definitely have bought into the hype. I practically didn't hear any difference between the Digi 002 D/A and the Mytek. Well maybe the Mytek was a little bit more open and sparkling highs but for 1000$ its just not worth it.

I'm really surprised by this because I try Mytek converter myself and this best eat my multiface in 2 seconds. Same with 192. But of course isn't really direct if you listen both clip with digi02
Of course if you thinked it was like night and day between converter, isn't true with that kind of test. Try with 1khz sine wave test, loop test for get a proper opinion about this;)

Don't worry btw, isn't an attack;)

Edit: oops, just see you speak about mytek96 and I only tryed mytek192

Well i tried to match the gain on every preamp. It was set around 1 o clock. So enough gain to get the preamps to colour the sound. It was just meant to be a quick test, as i wrote earlier im gonna do a drum test and vocals, see how they all sound when you get some fast transient into the box :)

Yeah i tried the Mytek DAC96, and was kinda disapointed, but i do belive that the Myteks top of the line gear makes allot more difference, i just felt that it wasnt worth 1000$.

i'm SO looking forward to further comparisons man....

as for the converter issue....well, i know you're a big fan of your yamahas, but having had them here side by side with my new adam p11a's i can safely say that they definitely hide nuances.
obviously, a converter upgrade won't make a massive difference in sound, but for example, when upgrading from the profire 610 to the rme fireface, i instantly thought the highs were crisper, the lows a bit clearer, and most importantly the stereo image was much more defined and detailed.
i can imagine that with the mytek vs. the digi 002 it'll be mostly the imaging that's improved.
unfortunately, i found the hs80m's imaging to be one of their main weaknesses.

What about the Spider connection? It has an adat port if I'm not wrong...so do you connect it to the 002 via adat?
It's not a chain of 2 A/D converter this way?

i'm SO looking forward to further comparisons man....

as for the converter issue....well, i know you're a big fan of your yamahas, but having had them here side by side with my new adam p11a's i can safely say that they definitely hide nuances.
obviously, a converter upgrade won't make a massive difference in sound, but for example, when upgrading from the profire 610 to the rme fireface, i instantly thought the highs were crisper, the lows a bit clearer, and most importantly the stereo image was much more defined and detailed.
i can imagine that with the mytek vs. the digi 002 it'll be mostly the imaging that's improved.
unfortunately, i found the hs80m's imaging to be one of their main weaknesses.

Well im a fan of my Yamahas because i know they are great at that price, but i am sure if i get a couple of Klein+Hummel etc. maybe i would have heard more difference between the converters, but i felt that there is allot of things you can spend your money on before upgrading your converters

Cheers

Well im a fan of my Yamahas because i know they are great at that price, but i am sure if i get a couple of Klein+Hummel etc. maybe i would have heard more difference between the converters, but i felt that there is allot of things you can spend your money on before upgrading your converters

Cheers

obviously :)
the point i was trying to make is, one of the things you should upgrade first, is your monitoring.
the yamahas are undoubtably stellar for the price, but with a signal chain like the one you're working with, i think you'd really benefit from more detailed and revealing monitors.

Have you considered getting the 002 reworked by Black Lion?

Yeah let's throw in another controversial topic! :lol:

http://recordinghacks.com/2009/08/31/black-lion-audio-mod-comparison/

Later, in a blind playback test through a different DAC into the same headphones, I preferred the stock 002R track. Oops.

Playing the tracks back through the modded 002R and a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors, in a blind test I again picked the stock 002 track for its articulation — for example, in that final chord, I could hear the attack of the pick on every string. In the track recorded by my modded 002R, the chord seemed to have a softer attack, less articulation. Is the warmth I perceived in the BLA track really just a lack of high-frequency extension?

These differences are minor, and will evade notice by casual listeners. That’s a problem. I’m damn disappointed to not be hearing dramatic improvements in the modded unit.

Well i tried to match the gain on every preamp. It was set around 1 o clock. So enough gain to get the preamps to colour the sound. It was just meant to be a quick test, as i wrote earlier im gonna do a drum test and vocals, see how they all sound when you get some fast transient into the box :)

Yeah i tried the Mytek DAC96, and was kinda disapointed, but i do belive that the Myteks top of the line gear makes allot more difference, i just felt that it wasnt worth 1000$.

Best way for a pre comparison are simply to run each pre to same converter;)
About converter, like I already say before; isn't like night and day between converter but you could be surprised with different test.

Mytek are awesome in therm of hardware insert, latency or cliping for exemple. Specially design for that (0dbvu=15dbfs factory setting for exemple).

Try a little test:
-loop a stereo wave file (out>in) with each converter
-compare back with non bounced track
-made your opinion

Of course a monitor upgrade would be great according to gear you use but if I can ear difference with my yammy HS50, you can on your HS80:D

For exemple I do a little converter test a couple of week before between firepod and multiface and difference was really important imo:lol:

Firepod AD/DA

Multiface AD/DA

Here the chain:
-Firepod DA>radial pro rmp>TS>recto>1960A>firepod pre>firepod AD
-Multiface DA>radial>TS>recto>1960A>firepod pre>multiface AD

Correct me if im wrong :p But if you connect the Spider through your ADAT on your Digi002 you immediately use the Spider's A/D??

You are totally right;)

About the test:

I didnt reamp so its 3 different takes so have that in mind.

That renders the test irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.... it's not a preamp comparison, but a performance comparison.

To record a true preamp shootout, you'd have to use the same mics, converters & performance... ...only changing preamps from track to track. ...AND you'll have to level match as well.

If you reamped, you might be a little bit shocked by how little difference there is between preamps.

Here's a shootout I did a few years ago:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/331871-preamp-shootout.html#post6486533