Crawl Through Knives (In Flames video cover)

Jotun25

Apr 27, 2010
Sevilla, Spain
www.jotunstudio.es
Hi! I´ve just finished recording this cover of one of my favourite In Flames song.

All the footage is actual audio recording, no playback.

I´ve used POD XT Live for guitar and bass, Metal Foundry for drums, Audio Technica 4040 for voices and Cubase 5 for recording and Wavelab for mastering.

Hope you like it and excuse some growls, but my voice was already tired...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Erik! Thanks a lot, because your sound and playing really amazes me!

I recorded the video using a Panasonic LX5. It´s a photo camera but also records video with very good quality, even in low light, because it has a lightly bigger sensor than compacts, and its lens has luminosity of f2.0.

The way I record it is simply pushing the camera button before I push the recording button in Cubase. Record every take and later I select the good ones (it would be better to delete from the camera when a take isn´t valid, but it´s a bit uncomfortable).

When I´m done recording, I mix audio and then use Sony Vegas (as my cam records in AVCHD, a format which no all editing programs support). It´s kind like a multitrack program but for video. You can add several video tracks and move them to sync them to the audio, add effects, fades, set the position where you will see each track (i.e. one corner)...The problem is that video editing is quite demanding and it´s hard to previsualize the final result. And also, it took more than 1,5 hours to render the final video...It also depends on your computer, but mine is a Dual Core 2,6 Ghz or similar...

Hope it helps!

Thanks for your views and comments!

Arvoitus: Wait for my next shirt...I´m going to show that I´m a comic book geek :D Thanks for the words and glad you liked the guitar sound!

StefTD: Yes, it is! It´s a 5-string MTD Kingston Heir. Good eye!

RandomOne: Thanks, glad you like it. The unmastered song (mixed for my specific mastering chain, so instrument levels are a bit weird...) is available here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19372669/Crawl ENTERO DEFINITIVO.mp3

Hope it helps!

Thank you! How you've got that awesome guitar tone? Can you give us the pod patch? What effects did you use on the guitar on mixing?

You´re welcome! I´d like to hear your mastering, please!

It´s simply the sound right from the pod, well mixed with the bass, and mastered. In Cubase I applied only a little eq on bass and highs and a little compression.

I haven´t applied any other effects. I don´t have the patch, sorry, but I use the Criminal amp, Green 25´s cabinet, SM57 mic and a Tube Screamer.

Hope it helps!