Creating a Room Mic trck when there is none...

MEGA DAVE

Mar 5, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
SO, I was just thinking... I love using the room mic sound and was wondering if there is a way in programming drums to achieve this? My thought would be to maybe slap a good room verb on the drum bus and make it mostly verb signal then export that as a track?

Anyone ever achieved this with good results? Am I on with my thinking or is there a better way to do this?

Another trick is sending your drum bus to an aux with a nice verb plug and make it like 70-100% wet and set it up like a room sound, blend it back in.

I'm gonna do an A/B mix between both of these ideas and post samples so everyone can hear the difference, also if there are any more ideas keep em coming!

I have this nicely miked room recording and when I need to make a fake room ITB I listen to that track and try to match it with a reverb, actually a bunch of reverbs because I feel a single one won't make it. Watch out not to overdo it tho'.

So there may be like 3 moderately set effects with source signal way low on some setting or even completely wet. Then I mixdown it and import as a new track like others said before.

And one more thing, the reverbs need to have their treble EQ'd out since in nature events further from you sound like that. On the other hand you don't want this boomy sound to overcome the drums so you really need to experiment in the mix - compressing the track is a must.