Creating Guitar Tone with VST's..All SAME!?!

Slammer88

May 20, 2010
Izmir, Turkey
Hello there..So far, i'm up to find "the best" guitar tone for my songs, and have tried different plugins/impulses/settings, you name it..YET, the final sound which i mostly found is...same..:yell: I still do think, EQ'ing is the only key for better sounds, but no matter what i've tried on EQ's, it simply didnt work so well..

Guitar Rig 4
Waves GTR 3
POD Farm 2 (Metal + Collectors Pack)
TSE X30
Revalver MKIII (demo version)
Some free amp sims like 8505
Recabinet/Guitarhack/Catharsis/Mesa and Orange from Redwirez

Among these, i've achieved the most satisfactory sound from the Revalver's amp's, but that's demo and can't afford to buy that..

SO!...Is it just me, who is a complete douchebag about getting practically same tones from all these different shits, or are nearly all of the guitar vst's sound same?:yow:

P.S: A tutorial-thing would be so helpful indeed, which is about recording metal guitars from a to z..

Hello there..So far, i'm up to find "the best" guitar tone for my songs, and have tried different plugins/impulses/settings, you name it..YET, the final sound which i mostly found is...same..:yell: I still do think, EQ'ing is the only key for better sounds, but no matter what i've tried on EQ's, it simply didnt work so well..

to quote Mr. Sneap: "I always say 80% of the tone is in the players hands". Thats why the same performance sounds almost the same with different amps, you notice this especially on the Guitar Tone Competition entries. Only thing that can make your tracks sound significantly better/worse, is playing. And the tutorials have been done already by Ola, aka Goddamn Guitar.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey Slammer, saw that you are new here and with lot of questions, i sugget you to use first the search function insted of posting 100 threads that`s already discussed and you will find older post where things are more in details explained, and i am shure you will find all the answers for your questions
dont understand me wrong, we all want to help each other here, but you find lot of things in older threads, if not then it`s worth to start a new one, this way will be easier in the future to filter threads what are we looking for
Hope you understand my point...

hey Slammer, saw that you are new here and with lot of questions, i sugget you to use first the search function insted of posting 100 threads that`s already discussed and you will find older post where things are more in details explained, and i am shure you will find all the answers for your questions
dont understand me wrong, we all want to help each other here, but you find lot of things in older threads, if not then it`s worth to start a new one, this way will be easier in the future to filter threads what are we looking for
Hope you understand my point...

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=007593470310830667409:4qw46y8lnza

First link in my bookmarks bar <3

And yeah, they all sound pretty damn similar. So do most real high gain amp heads as well

then whats the key for different sounds? a little fuzzy-buzzy like Bloodbath, or a little "digital" like F.Factory, or way too deep chunky like In Flames' Soundtrack To Your Escape album...

amp settings, different boosts, different pickups, different mic/mic placement, etc

Entombed in left hand path played the strings very hard into his mesa 2010 model. So if you want entombed you must pick hard. If you want gay hardcore you must pick with a feather.
You need strong stumps to play like a metal hero. That's the sound.

Entombed in left hand path played the strings very hard into his mesa 2010 model. So if you want entombed you must pick hard. If you want gay hardcore you must pick with a feather.
You need strong stumps to play like a metal hero. That's the sound.

Pretty much.
Play like a man, you'll sound like a man.

then whats the key for different sounds? a little fuzzy-buzzy like Bloodbath, or a little "digital" like F.Factory, or way too deep chunky like In Flames' Soundtrack To Your Escape album...

The bigger result of different sounds is really in the cabinet. If you ever played the line6 modelers, you will find that changing the cabinet changes the sound more drastically than changing the amp, this goes for sims and real amps as well, although, real amps are more expensive to have on tap.

Cabinets, Mics, Mic Positioning, Guitar (wood and pups) and the finesse of the player all make a larger difference in the overall tone. I disagree with the "80& of tones is in the hands" remark, because if that was true, you could get a Framus Cobra with a Marshall 1960 cab tone from a SLO 100 and a Recto Cab, its just not going to happen, though I will agree that the way the player plays will have a change on the DYNAMICS of the tone, this can make dramatic results to the dynamics, but nothing night and day to the actual characteristic of the distortion (or lack of) itself.

There isn't one thing that makes a huge difference in the perceived tone, but cabinets are a start, followed by mics and their positions, then the guitar (and pups) being used. Finesse of playing and believe it or not string gauges make a remarkable difference.

The bigger result of different sounds is really in the cabinet. If you ever played the line6 modelers, you will find that changing the cabinet changes the sound more drastically than changing the amp, this goes for sims and real amps as well, although, real amps are more expensive to have on tap.

Cabinets, Mics, Mic Positioning, Guitar (wood and pups) and the finesse of the player all make a larger difference in the overall tone. I disagree with the "80& of tones is in the hands" remark, because if that was true, you could get a Framus Cobra with a Marshall 1960 cab tone from a SLO 100 and a Recto Cab, its just not going to happen, though I will agree that the way the player plays will have a change on the DYNAMICS of the tone, this can make dramatic results to the dynamics, but nothing night and day to the actual characteristic of the distortion (or lack of) itself.

There isn't one thing that makes a huge difference in the perceived tone, but cabinets are a start, followed by mics and their positions, then the guitar (and pups) being used. Finesse of playing and believe it or not string gauges make a remarkable difference.

You can't disagree, because "80% of tone is in the hand" it's true if you DON'T take it out of context.

Obviously you can't expect to sound like Dimebag by playing a Stratocaster into a 50 watt Marshall, and this is exactly what I meant by taking the idea out of context.

Chances are that even if I buy a Dean guitar and Randall amp, I can obtain something "similar" to Dimebag tone, but I can't go just nail it 100%.

There is this thread somewhere around the forums where this guy can't obtain the same "percussive attack" as Jeff Loomis does... Well there is no EQ setting to obtain that, you have to "play it"...

Jesus, I've spent some serious months working on my tone and was totally pissed because I couldn't nail anything that was near as "br00talz" as my reference tones... Well, THEN I discovered that my right Hand was doing a totally crap job in regards of palm mutes. I worked on that and now I got some improvements.

So, to change my sound, I've worked on my playing..

your talking about the dynamic character of the sound, not the tonal characteristic of the distortion from the amp itself. The percussive attack of Loomis is just that, a dynamic, not the characteristic of the saturation and the filtering of the amp, cab and mic combination. If the phrase was changed to something like "80% of the dynamic comes from the fingers", I wouldn't be able to agree more because you have to consider the tonal impedance to let those dynamics through from the guitar wood and pickups, which change how much of the dynamics are let through, which would make up the last 20%.

To me, tone is the harmonic saturation frequency response and the applied filtering to that, where the filtering makes up the biggest change in sound, and dynamic, is the resulting part of the sound of how the player actually plays. Those are two separate things.