creating overheads when using samples

jeff666

New Metal Member
Nov 10, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I put together a drum kit with samples (I have no real drummer nor can I sample kits myself) but there are no overheads is there anything I can do to add false overheads?

I'd bet you could mic the speakers from a short distance and bring up your cymbal samples. Record that, and see how it sounds.

Cause I'd like to know, having never tried it.

I'd bet you could mic the speakers from a short distance and bring up your cymbal samples. Record that, and see how it sounds.

Cause I'd like to know, having never tried it.

I've always thought about this. Would you make the speakers face the ceiling? How many speakers would be used? I need to try this with a 5.1 system.

I've always thought about this. Would you make the speakers face the ceiling? How many speakers would be used? I need to try this with a 5.1 system.

I'd face the speakers outwards from each other and just point a mic at em from a few feet away from behind you. Fan em out, record em, and if that's too weird, bring the mics back a bit and try some more. Might end up with more of a room sound than an overhead one, in my theory.

kernalxsanders said:
maybe you could send the cymbals to a reverb bus and have the wet level relatively high? ive been wondering the same thing lately...

Tried this one. Didn't sound too bad, but sounded like it was floating in too much space. Didn't do much for the stereo field in terms of a wide cymbal image. If it works for you, it works.