Credit card cloning

Lee_B

Readin' me posts are ya?
May 16, 2001
Surbiton. The Posh bit
www.elitistrecords.co.uk
I'd read about this type of thing and not really taken much notice. Until this morning when I checked my bank account on the Internet and saw that there were two seperate transactions, each of about £1400 (that's about $5000 total) and my balance was down to virtually zero.

Anyway, the bank are being cool about it and have arranged an emergency overdraft to cover my mortgage payment, etc, but it might take a while to get the money back. Depends how long it takes to investigate.

How the fuck do the crooks do this? The card hasn't been out of my sight...

AC said it best... "Technology is gay.."

Lee_B said:
I'd read about this type of thing and not really taken much notice. Until this morning when I checked my bank account on the Internet and saw that there were two seperate transactions, each of about £1400 (that's about $5000 total) and my balance was down to virtually zero.

Anyway, the bank are being cool about it and have arranged an emergency overdraft to cover my mortgage payment, etc, but it might take a while to get the money back. Depends how long it takes to investigate.

that sucks .... but you sure you didn't go out on some binge drinking with the whole label roster? :D :loco:

My dad's company card got stolen some years back and the guy went fucking crazy in a camera store... luckily he got caught and the bank was cool about it. I hate people that are low enough to do this... it really just boggles the mind.

Interesting story: While my parents were in Italy, I used their card info (with permission of course) to pay for my Vargnatt vinyl (which was obviously back here in the USA). The company saw that there were all sorts of transactions in Italy and the USA during the week, and they flipped out and shut off the card. It was sort of a hassle in the end, but it's good to know that they were paying attention...

^^^

That happened once when my family was travelling as well. They do try to pay attention to these things. You're in trouble if it's someone close to you though.

You can get peoples credit card information pretty easily these days if you are h4xxor to the m4x (which im not). If you've used it at any store that has a large wireless network to link up all there computers, then any war driver can park in the parking lot and hack the network and gather the information as its passed between servers/machines/watever. Of course this probobly didn't happen, but its one of the many ways it could have.

lizard said:
~ or ~
it could have been taken by aliens from secure underground facilities in Area 51

Can't tell if your saying that as a stand alone joke, or to point out how my scenerio seems rediculous?

Oh yeah, fuck thieves, I hope your get your cash back in quick fashion but good to hear the bank aren't being dicks about it.

The funniest crooks are the ones that set up "over the shoulder" cameras for your ATM card and read your PIN #. Thing is, this is only useful if you steal the card. It's funny because it's so simple.

Gas stations took this a step further -- they hooked up a PC to the debit card reading device, and copied all the content from the magnetic strip over to hotel key cards. Plus they had a hidden camera to steal the PIN # as you typed it into the machine.

Couple of hours later, they've cloned your card, got your PIN #, withdrawn all your cash, and may even be shagging your mum.

JayKeeley said:
and copied all the content from the magnetic strip over to hotel key cards.

best. toys. ever.

msr206.jpg

Lee_B said:

I got a charge on my credit card last summer for a lorry tanks worth of petrol in the Isle of Dogs, when I was living in Manchester (not to mention the fact I don't own a lorry). It turns out that the last cash machine I had used in London (South Kensington tube station) had been rigged with one of those fake fronts that scan your card details.

Since your around London, I'd bet that's how they cloned your card.

Something like this never happened to me with my credit card, but I got my mobile stolen ones. The fuckers call a sex line for about $800 and to Pakistan for about $1500. That's sour money.

I haven't actually read the whole thread but doing shit like this is RIDICULOUSLY EASY.

Looked at your receipts from various stores lately? An alarming amount of stores print the whole fucking card number and expiry date in plaintext, at which point all the person who finds the receipt on the ground somewhere needs to do is use the # and date on the Internet somewhere to order whatever the fuck they want.

Even if the actual store receipt doesn't print the whole number, the internal receipts WILL have them printed, and you can't be sure that the store disposes of those in a safe way. Actually, they probably throw them in some random dumpster, and then the person who finds those has 50000 free credit cards. Noone needs to know pin codes or have actual physical cards in this Interweb age.

The good news is that the credit card companies/banks ALWAYS cover everything like this, 'cause the last thing they want is for their cards to get a rep as "insecure" or something like that.

Crimson Velvet: Two words: prepaid phonecards. Sucks what happened, though.

It wouldn't have happened either, if I hadn't been so drunk that night, that when I called right after it had happened, I couldn't frikkin' remember the pin-code. Ugh.