5000 dollars fraud on my credit card

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Big rant, there.

So I just came back home, checked my account online.

-4000e on my monthly card credit and I'm only 10 days into the month

Out of this, 3669e are frauds, online payments on shopping websites (mostly). The rest only is actual expenses from me. There has been 5 payments.

The lucky part is that I am right now in france so I can go tomorrow morning to the police declare this and start the procedure to get it back.

The non lucky part is that I am going back to Porto tuesday the latest, and that the bank weekend is today and tomorrow, so I might discover another payment tuesday morning when the weekend is passed and come back to the police to declare some more. I am not sure because it must have reached its monthly limit already, it's set up pretty high because I can easily get 1500 or 2000e of just travel/hotel/food expenses before my own personal/life/leisure expenses, when I'm flying out of home several times a month.

The worst is that I have to block my card obviously, but it means I'll have to go to Portugal without a credit card, and since my card is a french one, I cannot have a new one sent directly to me in Porto, so it will have to be sent 7 days after its request to my home in france, and then only sent to portugal via mail so I will not have a credit card for half a month probably. And I have to setup something with my bank when they open again because I just don't have that money, and it's also almost the beginning of my month (I get salaries around the 17th and my card is debited the 14th from my bank account). Also I won't be there myself to get the credit card so I have to make sure they accept my mother to get it even though she doesn't have a procuration.

Seriously, it happens to me almost every year and I just use it normally. Except this time it's 10 times higher, and I'm between two countries. I'm cursed. I wanted to finally buy myself some things with my first real salaries, seems like I'll have to wait at least another month.

So now I have to withdraw 1000e at least in cash because I'll have another series of expenses to cover soon, and just in case something like a car fix happens because I just cannot afford not to be able to go to work when needed. Not to mention food, rent, taxes (monthly in my case) etc.

Other lesson learned : even if it costs me double, I'll create a second credit card a way or another just in case. I'm considering one of those mastercards you can get online for 10e and that you top up manually, some of them being able to generate a new card number every day to avoid online fraud.

I wanna beat the fuck out of the criminal who did that and explode a TNT stick in his ass. I hope for that value the police is actually gonna investigate and find him/her/them.

I mean, for fuck's sake, to buy clothes on online shopping websites...

:puke:

this happened to a buddy of mine the other day. We got Wendys right before we went skating and his card was declined. He said that was odd because he has a bit over 1000 dollars in his account. Turns out the day before there was a 500 dollar charge at forever 21 and one at tiger direct. Thankfully both were blocked because I'm assuming they didn't get the billing address correct.

Sorry to hear dude, unfortunately I have to say that not only is identity theft/stealing card info extremely easy to do but its also very easy to get away with on the technical aspect (not that I would ever consider it, but google it, its pretty eye opening). I hope you can meet him and pummel him into oblivion

Well, c'est très simple, a clean OS with no hijacked shit/virus/cookies/etc only used to log in to your bank accounts and stuff... You just plug the usb be key and restart the computer.. boots in seconds.. do banking and restart on windows/mac.

I use Slax

Well, c'est très simple, a clean OS with no hijacked shit/virus/cookies/etc only used to log in to your bank accounts and stuff... You just plug the usb be key and restart the computer.. boots in seconds.. do banking and restart on windows/mac.

I use Slax

It doesn't have to be a virus or anything like that. Online stores fucking up with their security, card skimmers or clever social engineering can all result in credit card frauds. Happened to me, too, and it wasn't a matter of my computer's security.

I order and bank on linux only with all the cookies cleared. I recently got fraudulent charges. I figured out exactly what happened. I ate at a restaurant and they took the card to the machine in the back and someone slapped a piece of paper over it and scribbled with a pencil over it to copy the info quickly and wrote down the security code. They tried to book a hotel in a popular vacation destination in a neighboring state and VISA caught it. Even though I lost nothing. waiting on the new card was very inconvenient.

I had actually always paid with cash at restaurants before and that was probably the only time I used a card for one. Once was enough apparently. I had never seen that waitress there before and I think she is gone now.

Use cash at restaurants where they take the check to the back.

I would never give my card to someone like this, it is not common practice here, they come with the machine to you, or you go to the desk where the machine is, but they don't leave with your card !

I would never give my card to someone like this, it is not common practice here, they come with the machine to you, or you go to the desk where the machine is, but they don't leave with your card !

Here at any place where you are seated by a waiter or waitress they bring you the bill at your table and then you send the money or card back with them. It's a terrible way to do it. If I ever find myself with no cash and I have to use a card at a place like this again I will be following them to the machine to watch.

It is silly that it's done like that here. I can see this being common.

je te soutiens mec ;)

What's up with france ? my dad and i got some cash stolen from our bank accounts aswell not long ago and credit lyonnais or the insurance couldn't cover the frauds... all my savings from work gone yay...

my word of advice for payments on the net -> e-carte bleue.

You don't need to use the PIN code to buy stuff.

Yeah I discovered many countries don't use it, or use the magnetic band instead. In some countries you sign the printed ticket instead.

It's a shame you have to give your card to the waitress who can then just copy all its info so easily. I have never seen that in here and Portugal is the same, I guess it is because we need to use the PIN anyway.

I discovered a law that says when you buy something without signing anything you can cancel it, which is possible with all online purchases obviously. So instead of a procedure to get the money back, legally, I should be able to force the bank to pay me back those values immediately. The problem is that no one knows this law, not even the bank employees ! I'm gonna try that, it would at least avoid a 4000e gap when my card is debited the next 14th of the month !

je te soutiens mec ;)

What's up with france ? my dad and i got some cash stolen from our bank accounts aswell not long ago and credit lyonnais or the insurance couldn't cover the frauds... all my savings from work gone yay...

my word of advice for payments on the net -> e-carte bleue.

Merci mec !
I think I remember seeing an e-credit card in my bank so I will ask them. I might use a private one if it's too expensive

On my bank's website :
- e-credit card is the automatic generation of a credit card number for every purchase without communicating any info on the real one
- 8e/ year

I'm not even gonna think more, it's a no brainer for someone who buys online all the time.

I will double my MasterCard with a Visa as well, to have 2 credit cards just in case, because being in another country without credit card if you lose one is super annoying !

I checked the law texts, the good surprise is that since July 2010 in france, the bank has to pay back immediately the fraud values, instead of "in the next 30 days" like before, so I should be able to avoid a hole in my account when the value will be debited at the end of my card's month.