crimson, dan, how the hell could you get that guitar sound?

a24710

New Metal Member
Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
this question is not only for dan, of course

if any of you know which equipment did EOS use in crimson album i would be happy to hear you

the reason is that i´m going to form a band in a short period of time and i´m going to buy new equipment, we would like to have a guitar sound very similar to the crimson one, i love that distortion!!!! :D

i already own a boss-gt3 for effects and a metal zone mt2 for distortion, which guitar & amp should i buy, (not very expensive please), my actual amp and guitar are 8-9 years old and they don´t want to work anymore like they did in the past

also i would like to know how were the guitars tuned in that album, i guess they were in C# (3 steps down) or maybe in C

i´m waiting for your answers

thx

allright. first of all the left and right guitars are tuned in A (yup, a hell lot of steps down) and Dans guitar is tuned in DADADE (hmm!). The bass is tuned in D, got this info from mr Swanö himself a short while ago.

I know nothing about the distortion though

in A ??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that´s almost impossible

7 steps down , 3 tones and a half??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

i´ve never heard about someone tuning his guitar so down :OMG:

really impressed here

are you sure he said that???? is there any chance that you´re wrong??? i don´t want to tune the guitars so down

maybe i´ll try to get a similar sound tuning it down "just" 4 or 5 steps (carcass & at the gates are in 5 steps down and they sound cool)

and dadade is a little strange tuning too, i think metallica used a similar tuning in "the thing that should not be", but i´m not sure now

any idea of the amps and guitars EOS used in crimson???

thx

well, i guess if you have a 7 string guitar is not so impossible ;), in fact is very possible

tuning a normal guitar in that way wouldn´t sound very well

don´t think i´m gonna buy a 7 string guitar, 6 are enough for me

any news in amps and guitars?

Yeah thats the problem they use 6 string guitars. It is doable if you use thick strings though, like using 12s at the bare minimum, they use 10s so it literally sounds like a dirtbike and you cant distinguish notes. As to his amps and guitars i have no idea, but i have an ampeg head and the distortion on it is amazing, i wouldnt trade it for anything.

you could try buying a pack of strings for a 7string and just use the 6 lowest strings on your guitar.

nice idea

i could also buy a 12s o 13s strings

but i still think that tuning is too low

i´ll get a 12s strings and i´ll tune it 3 or 4 or 5 steps down, i think 7 are too much

anyway i´ll try 7 steps down, just to hear how it sounds but i don´t think i´ll keep that tuning too long

still waiting for what amps / guitars they used

ohh ohh... I remember reading about Kenny Hickey from Type O Negative.. when they recorded Bloody Kisses, he had whatever strings on there 10-46 or something and they tuned in A for that album... he just played softly and let the amp do all the work... turn it up really f---ing loud... or you could always buy a baritone guitar.. 27" neck.. with thin-gauge strings, you can tune super duper lowwww.. that'd work too.

I have 3 guitars, i keep my Ibanez rg470 in standard E, but i have an old bc rich bronze warlock (shitty guitar) but i tune it down to A with 9-42's! it sounded like shit at first and kept geting out of tune, but then i realized that certain frets need more/less pressure put on it to be in tune. So sometimes i'll just hold down a littler harder and sometimes i'll hold down a littler softer, and the result is a thick low guitar sound that works excellent for the deathmetal that i make (i make all kinds of music though). i have a boss metal zone, but i rarely use it, i use just my old Digitech multieffects pedal that has 15 distortions to choose from. pretty much 12 of the 15 sound like shit, but one of them sounds awesome and thats what i keep it at. but yeah, it is possible to tune to A with 9-42s, but you have to master the pressurizeing system of it all, which will take a couple days probably!

i make music too

if you want to listen it go here

http://usuarios.lycos.es/p4software/musica.htm

feel free to send your thoughts to a24710@terra.es

there are 3 mp3´s there, and i´ve done all the instruments

the drums and the keyboards are done with impulse tracker, the bass guitar is a normal guitar with a pitch shifter (don´t know if that is the real name) tuned one octave lower, and the electric guitar is a normal one tuned 2 tones down in 12 and 13, a one tone down in 14

i like most 13 & 14

they are two or three years old and the sound quality isn´t very good cause i recorded it at home with just one mike, but i think they sound more or less well

i´m forming a band cause it takes me really long composing a recording all the instruments and of course, just because it´s funny playing with friends

a24710 said:
in A ??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that´s almost impossible

7 steps down , 3 tones and a half??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

i´ve never heard about someone tuning his guitar so down :OMG:

really impressed here

are you sure he said that???? is there any chance that you´re wrong??? i don´t want to tune the guitars so down

maybe i´ll try to get a similar sound tuning it down "just" 4 or 5 steps (carcass & at the gates are in 5 steps down and they sound cool)

and dadade is a little strange tuning too, i think metallica used a similar tuning in "the thing that should not be", but i´m not sure now

any idea of the amps and guitars EOS used in crimson???

thx

You must have never heard of any of these shitty ass american bands that play this pop metal like staind and shit like that they mostly have 6 stringers wich play in A tuning its called a Baritone guitar made for that crappy shit but i bet its amazingly well used in Crimson.

mattcira said:
ohh ohh... I remember reading about Kenny Hickey from Type O Negative.. when they recorded Bloody Kisses, he had whatever strings on there 10-46 or something and they tuned in A for that album... he just played softly and let the amp do all the work... turn it up really f---ing loud... or you could always buy a baritone guitar.. 27" neck.. with thin-gauge strings, you can tune super duper lowwww.. that'd work too.

Dude man Type-o-Negative always plays in B man, to bad there headed either trendy or to the end What a band, If you listen closely you will hear. Not trying to be a dick man just letting you know, im a huge typ-o fan so trust me bro.

Dead_Daylight said:
Dude man Type-o-Negative always plays in B man, to bad there headed either trendy or to the end What a band, If you listen closely you will hear. Not trying to be a dick man just letting you know, im a huge typ-o fan so trust me bro.

Dude Man,
the new album kills... a trendy whatever band? So if a band writes catchy tunes, they are trendy? I'd better stop listening to King Crimson then!!!

DSC00039.JPG

http://www15.brinkster.com/thebrews/ghostofdawn/front.html
I have to say this real quick: that cheesey lame ghost/cowboy thing in the beginning of the site is going. me and cj both think its stupid. just had to say that....
Yeah me and my friend made a band about a month ago. he heard some music i did and asked if i wanted to make a band and i said "sure". You can download 3 different songs on the website (songs 2 and 3 are the same because there was a mistake while uploading i guess. thats to bad because the song thats not up was one of the best ones). I have no idea some of the mp3s say Chammps and Da Boswachters..... im not the one who put them onto mp3, CJ is. There is this clipping type sound you can hear sometimes that i dont know why its there, but these are only demo versions so no big deal. there isnt even vocals added yet. I did the drums on my keyboard playing them manually (ive mastered playing the keyboard drums, heh). i use one track for cymbals/snare and another for double bassdrum (i have an 8track). I do: Lead guitar, keys and CJ does rhythem guitar on these tracks. On track 4 i was not exactly in a clean state of mind while recording the lead guitar, so in some parts the lead guitar will sound just as confused as i was at the time. normal tuning by the way.
note about the music: i am not as big of a metal fan as i use to be, before metal dominated my musical tastes, but now its another genre. Im into alot of ambient music and i have an ambient cd i made that i think is my best work. But i am still a metal fan and i thought itd be fun to make some metal. i am in the middle of making a very interesting deathmetal album now, tuned down to A. Deffinatly pretty different then normal deathmetal (im not much of a deathmetal fan anymore. the only deathmetal band id consider myself a fan of is Suffocation). are you still reading? well wow, i wouldnt even be reading still

a24710 said:
well, i guess if you have a 7 string guitar is not so impossible ;), in fact is very possible

tuning a normal guitar in that way wouldn´t sound very well

don´t think i´m gonna buy a 7 string guitar, 6 are enough for me

any news in amps and guitars?

sure it does. I have my 6 stringed guitar tuned in A. You just got to have really thick strings :hotjump: