More praise and questions for Dan

MJStraughen

HateBreD
Dec 7, 2001
Sydney,Aus
Visit site
Hey Dan, firstly I'd like to say that I've only just discovered your music in the last month or so, and the music youve created has blown me away !

Secondly, I'd like to ask some questions about Moontower...
What inspired you to create Moontower ? Was it simply what you wanted to make at the time, or was it a project that you developed over time ?
Also, how did you get that guitar sound ?? I love it ! was it recorded direct, like some of your other projects ? Ok last question, were all the guitars in Crimson II recorded direct ? including leadwork ?

Thanks in advance for your answers Dan, and keep making awesome music !

Thanx..
Moontower was a personal crisis record and it was inspired by anger and disappointment
I used a Marshall JCM800 miked with an AKG C1000 thru a TC Finalizer on that one
On Crimson II I used a Pod XT thru an Aphex valve EQ and lots of FreeFilter (Which probably just made the sound a bit worse.???) Simon and Mike recorded direct with a Digitech Gnx2 which I think sounds a bit off. I don't like the lead sound on their guitars, but since I wasn't there to shape the sound, it was impossible to rescue with EQ, I tried everything...
welcome to the family
Dan

Thanks for the quick response !
I must say from what I've heard of your works, Moontower is definately my favourite so far... I'm also curious to know, what axes have you used on the albums ?

I have been using the following guitars over the years

IBANEZ Blazer (With PAF), BC RICH ST-3 (with EMG)Maverick (don't know the model) and SCHECTER Celloblaster. For Crimson 1 I borrowed an Ibanez. The first Nightingale was recorded on a Yamaha I bought from Mike Åkerfeldt.

D