Dan: Guitar tone morphing?

terminus_est

New Metal Member
Jul 19, 2003
Dan,

In the LOTFP interview, you mention a piece of software that uses morphing technology to grab the sound of one recording and apply it to another recording.

I'm a bit of a Cubase VST junkie myself and I've never heard of this. Dan or anybody else, what is this software? I must have it.

I spent hours last night trying to duplicate the Bloodbath guitar sound, because it's the best rendition I've ever heard of the old Dismember style evil crunch. I thought I'd never be able to do it, because I record direct, and I assumed that Dan, since he has access to lots of equipment, must use miked amps... so I spent hours with a frequency analyzer, tweaking my guitar sound until it was pretty close.

Then imagine my surprise when I read a DS interview regarding Infestdead, where he revealed that Infestdead was recorded direct...

There's a few things that do this... the Acoustic Mirror thing in Sound Forge, say... I think that works as a separate VST or DX plug too... it's fun applying monk noises to death vox...

The software is called FreeFilter. I have used it ever since I tried it the first time. I am using this for "Crimson II" aswell. I Nicked the guitar EQ off some off track I had lyring around and it improved with 145%!! for the main loudness curve of the mix I like the soundquality of new Korn album, so I stole that and the main quality of all instruments really got up a notch!!!

Reactions: Crenshaw
This *fucking* rocks. Thanks for the heads-up. Acoustic Mirror can kiss my tubes, now. Splendid. Nice one!

Dan: any other mastering plugins you use?

I remember when Crimson came out, everyone around here was amazed by just the sound of it... it's like this very deep dark soundspace. That type of production seems to have fallen by the wayside somehow in the last couple of years.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Korn? Dan? Are you ok? lol... :p
:) Well, actually the production on the latest Korn album is very good. It has heavy guitars and now Dan can do it and even better with less money, must be a damn good plygin.. I guess I'll be using it in the future, too, I just need to test it somewhere... (I don't know if I'm going to use Tool as the reference but who knows)...

(EDIT): Damnit, it works even better than I expected! I remastered some of my older and not-so-good-sounding demo songs and they turned out polished and waxed. I just had to take a while to think of some good songs that would help FreeFilter to improve the overall sound...