circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Crimson Moonlight – The Covenant Progress
Rivel Records – March 14th, 2003
By Jason Jordan

CrimsonMoonlight.jpg

Scandinavian metallers Crimson Moonlight capitalized on Dimmu Borgir’s symphonic, atmospheric sound – which flowed throughout Enthrone Darkness Triumphant – when they released the Eternal Emperor (EP) on the public. Now, after six years of practice and subsequent maturation, the group has successfully melded a barrage of black metal influences into one cohesive work.

“Mist of the Spiritual Dimension” arrives first, and retains a controlled ferociousness that we seldom heard on the aforementioned EP. There have been some line-up changes since 1998, but the members that have stayed the course have noticeably improved. Scant organ melodies pierce the dark composition while furious double-bass drumming keeps a steady visage. The vocals – though traditional – are good. “The Pilgrimage” commences with an acoustic passage but wastes no time in delving into the blacker aspect of the musical spectrum. Love the riff at the 1:45 minute mark; the differentiation in the drum pattern is excellent as well. “Path of Pain” has a normal introduction, and utilizes keyboard effects for good measure. The rhythmical elements at 3:45 are nicely done, even though the song is a bit bland for Crimson Moonlight standards. “Thy Wilderness” distinctly reminds me of Immortal Souls upon inception, but the varying rhythms quickly quells that alliteration. “Eternal Emperor” is a revised version of the original, which appeared on the EP. The former is great although I still have a soft spot for the, uh, original. In any case, “Eternal Emperor” transcends most of The Covenant Progress. “A Painting in Dark,” “Eyes of Beauty,” and “A Thorn in My Heart” are rendered by the aforesaid group, while “The Covenant” proves to be a much different composition for them. The latter uses synthesizers to reach the pseudo-evil “sound” that pervades so much of black metal; and, actually, the track would’ve fit beautifully onto the PlayStation game Medievil. Remember that?

The Covenant Progress is definitely not the most original effort, but it’s conciseness and overt musical prowess may interest you more than you think. In short, check out Crimson Moonlight. I think you’ll like them.

8/10

Official Crimson Moonlight website
Official Rivel Records website