Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
EDGE OF SANITY – CRIMSON II
Black Mark - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

edge%20of%20sanity.jpg

How could Dan Swanö possibly top Crimson with Crimson II? That was my immediate reaction when I first heard that Crimson II was going to be released. There was no way I thought it could be possible but Dan is not a man to doubt because he definitely delivers the goods with this release. Released under the Edge of Sanity name but entirely composed (except lyrics which were credited to Clive Nolan) and played by Dan Swanö, Crimson II has exceeded all the expectations, doubts and hopes I had for this album.

Crimson II is another one huge long song just like the first part but this one is divided into 9 pieces (or themes) and then that is divided into 44 tracks (a little too excessive for my taste but undoubtedly it feels like an effort by the label to make it a little harder to pirate). Despite this fragmentation, the song flows seamlessly through its 43-minute musical journey.

With Crimson II not only are musical themes from the original found but Dan also uses his many influences by combining elements like Nightingale melodies, Edge of Sanity’s style of death metal, Moontower like progressive keyboards and both a harsh and clean vocal delivery to carefully craft this masterpiece. Finally, everything is tied up together by a phenomenal production. The overall effect is of a huge wall of sound with many layers to be found and no one instrument dominates or gets lost. Everything is crystal clear and in perfect balance.

There is just nothing out there that sounds just quite like Crimson II. Despite Dan’s reference points and usage of his many styles there is nothing that sounds rehashed or borrowed, it all sounds new, exciting and fresh. If you ever wondered how a brutal slab of death metal seamlessly woven with progressive and melodic passages then there is no need for you too look further because with Crimson II you will find it.

Black Mark Website
Dan Swanö Official Website
Edge of Sanity Official Website