EDGE OF SANITY: Crimson II

Slynt

Lord and Liar
May 31, 2001
Norway
Visit site
The return of Edge of Sanity is not so much a return of a fabulous death metal band, as Dan Swanö toying in a studio with some friends. This leads to an album which really shouldn’t have been released under the Edge of Sanity name, as the music lies much closer to Dan Swanö’s Moontower-project, complete with symphonic prog elements.

The album has many excellent moments, for Dan Swanö remains a capable song-writer, however, the presence of particularly two former Edge of Sanity-members is sorely missed: Andreas Axelsson, the man who penned many of the best riffs and melodies on classics like ‘Unorthodox’ and ‘Purgatory Afterglow’, and Benny Larsson, the drummer whose technique and flair gave the band’s compositions a powerful drive clearly lacking on ‘Crimson II’.

At times, the album manages to sound like good ol’ Edge Of Sanity, mainly due to the return of certain riffs and parts from the original ‘Crimson’. A few of the new parts also have this melodic, rough feel of the old band, but the constantly appearing Moontower-synths are distracting.

The production is an improvement over earlier Edge albums, although it takes some spins in the player before it becomes comfortable, especially Dan’s death growls which are mixed pretty low compared to earlier efforts. ‘Crimson II’ doesn’t feel as whole as the first ‘Crimson’, the parts feel more disjointed and there are more (silent) pauses than what we had on the first part, which creates a less interesting sound.

All in all a good album which I hopes will grow on me more than it has up to this point. As an old Edge of Sanity-fan I might be a bit too nitpicky, time will tell.
Why is that when bands return to their old logos, they have to take away stuff from the logo? 4 out of 6 points.

It didn't take many more spins to reveal it's beauty. Discarding my initial thoughts
of missing bandmembers and similarities to Moontower, it occured to me that I should
value 'Crimson II' on it's own accords - an album created almost entirely by one man,
Dan Swanö, and in that respect, now that I am used to the production, EDGE OF SANITY's
probably final release 'Crimson II' deserves at least 5 out of 6, and probably 6 too, a
few spins in the player from now. :)

This album hooked me right off the bat and remonded me why Edge of Sanity was such an excellent band. Unorthodox was my favorite for a long time followed closely by Crimson and The Spectral Sorrows but Crimson II is flat-out excellent. I'm almost pissed when it ends and I'm happy as hell Dan decided to return to something he does so well.

Yeah, a very good release indeed. It maintains the feel of Crimson, but isn't a total rehash. The guitar riffs are so excellent as is the production. Nobody sounds like this anymore, so bonus points for the old school heavy sound. Crimson II is excellent and recommended for all those who already have Crimson I. If not, but Crimson I first!