Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Crowpath – Red On Chrome
Willowtip Records – WT-030 – 2004
By Nathan Pearce

crowpath.gif

Holy gods of Swedish metal!!! Apparently Sweden isn’t limited to black metal, melodic death metal, and slick grindcore. In fact, Crowpath is an amazing and refreshing departure from the norm for metal bands not only in Sweden, but worldwide as well. Let me put it this way. How would you like to have a handful of scorpions stuffed down your throat, followed by severe beatings to the head, limbs, and torso, and finally a red-hot iron to the eyes? Sound fun? Yes . . . I thought so.

Crowpath’s Red On Chrome is essentially the most extreme and ferocious technical death metal album ever recorded. But to truly understand the brilliance of Red On Chrome, one must look to such notable modern classics as Neurosis’ Through Silver In Blood, Today is the Day’s In The Eyes Of God, and Mastodon’s Remission. All of the aforementioned albums pushed extreme music forward in one way or another, just as Crowpath has done with Red On Chrome. Whether it is through abrasive and spastic riffing, pummeling and violent song arrangements, or universe crushing atmosphere, Crowpath is leaving nothing to chance. Red On Chrome is forging new ground in all areas of modern extreme metal.

Crowpath takes a very proficient technical metal background and absolutely demolishes their instruments with an uncanny knack for harnessing chaos. The instrumentation is actually so monstrous and warped on Red On Chrome, the first listen almost seemed like I’d just been run over by a battalion of military tanks running at full boar. However, after a few listens, songs start to form out of pure, sickening, raucous chaos . . . and what a beautiful chaos it is! There isn’t a trace of melody to be found on Red On Chrome, and, in fact, it’s almost painful to try to pick apart the explosion of sound coming from the speakers throughout the entire album. The production is abrasive, and only adds to the violence of the music. Hell . . . I had to actually do some research to make sure there was only one drummer in this band; it sounds like there’s twelve!

For a band to take extreme metal and twist, fracture, and implode it with such an amazing display of innovation, I am in complete awe of Crowpath. Red On Chrome is much too amazing an album to be limited with tags like extreme technical death metal or technical noisecore. Red On Chrome is the rare album that comes along and destroys everything you thought you understood about extreme metal to begin with . . . and with that destruction comes a rebirth. Crowpath has just created a masterpiece of modern extreme metal.

10/10

Crowpath’s Official Website
Willowtip Records’ Official Website

I've had it for weeks. It's very enjoyable, certainly not pedestrian, but 'the most extreme and ferocious technical death metal album ever recorded'??? That's just a flat-out lie. For one thing, the entire approach of the album; the short track lengths; raspy/yelled vocals; simple riff progressions; manic blasting drums and lack of solos or leads; is far closer to deathgrind than tech-death. To associate Crowpath with Psycroptic, Yattering, Decapitated, Cryptopsy etc is flat-out misleading, this is far closer to the brand of grindy DM shared by labelmates Commit Suicide and Watchmaker (although the latter is more blackened grind, they share the same blasting, abrasive aggression) Crowpath even remind me at times of Brutal Truth, that's how tech-death they are. :rolleyes:

As for extreme....ummm....I try to suppress a laugh when I see the scrolling list in my head of both tech-death and deathgrind bands more aggressive, faster, heavier etc etc than Crowpath. Crowpath are extreme yes, but not nearly so as to be a difficult listen.

Ferocious? Yes, Crowpath are ferocious.....but not to be compared to the sheer hatred evident from a band like Watchmaker, or Circle of Dead Children, or Internal Suffering....or....yeah, i'm bored already.

Melody? Hey, listen to a band like Enmity or Foetopsy; Crowpath's riffs are like sunny miniature musicals in comparison.

Masterpeice? Rebirth of modern metal? Innovation on all levels of extreme metal??

*sniff* Fuck, I smell excessive fanboyism, and it sure as hell skewed that review into a big steaming pile of over-ripe hype.

Mr. Sculpted is talking more sense here guys. The group may definately be something to check out, but Nathan's review is complete and utter Hagiographic, fawning, sychophantic, obsequious, toadying, slimy BULL.