CRYSTALIUM - Diktat Omega

Adipocere/Oakenshield
www.adipocere.fr
www.crystalium.tk

I'm going to begin this review by posing a question: is there anything worse than a hyperspeed drum machine in black metal? Other than a moog or pipe organ, that is... But still: I don't see, and have never seen, the novelty in having machine-gun style "percussion" rattling through the music. Maybe it ties in with the whole "war metal" idea that CRYSTALIUM like to define themselves as. I'm not really sure... but I have to say that it is pretty fucking annoying, especially when the music ain't half bad.

And the music here is pretty good. CRYSTALIUM aren't breaking any new ground here. Hell, they aren't even all that entertaining. But somehow the band isn't quite as mediocore as one would be lead to believe. The riffing is cold but not overly-simplistic. This is black metal that doesn't quite have the aesthetic of a BURZUM, yet is still not a boring by-the-numbers hyperspeed band like DARK FUNERAL. War black metal? Okay.

Overall: decent enough for your collection, but not quite good enough for repeated listens. Unless you have a fascination with the sort of band that would call its album "the fastest French black metal release ever!"

As for me: eh... Okay, sure.

6.8/10

Black Winter Day

Black Winter Day said:
But somehow the band isn't quite as mediocore as one would be lead to believe.
This is truly the best compliment I've ever heard! :tickled:

I agree with machine gun blastbeats, I grow weary of them shits.