Cubase Workflow: All songs in one project

hogan666

Mar 7, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
www.liquid-artz.com
Hi

Last day I had a little debate about if it's better to have all songs (in my case 6-8 Songs) in one project file or if it's better to have one project per Songs.

After that, I'm very pro to his all in one approach but I'm not sure if I lost one point that could bring me in trouble.

(Btw: I know that there's already a similar thread about reaper, but it didn't answer my questions.:rolleyes:)

PRO:
-Same mix for all songs
-Faster, 'cause you don't have to open up every project if something changes.

CONTRA:
-Hassle with tempo maps?
-Getting all tracks + automation in one big file is a lot of work
-Performance issues (every song uses another VSTi synth you have to bring in one file) --> eats resources

----

Maybe templates is way, but I don't have the experience using them.
Another problem would be, that every projects looks a bit different.
One got a few tracks more for clean guitars, the other projects has only dist. guitars. Think that would be tricky using templates, or?

Thanks a lot, Markus.

I usually tend to nail down the mix in one file, make sure the band is 100% is happy then make a template with that mix and started dragging the files for the other songs into new project files using that template and any adjustments that need to be made on a song to song basis get done in the project file for the track in question.

I didn't understand the meaning of the other thread they posted but now i totally get it. Sounds like it's worth a try no doubt, i think i'm gonna try it on the band i'm tracking this weekend.

I would add this could be possible with a not too powerful system, if you actually print your tones instead of running vstis all the way through.

If you have only pure audio tracks, it should not be too much of a hassle, even with automations etc.