Cubase5/SD2 Multi-Out Stem-Printing

Gnocchi

Jan 2, 2011
Hey,

the past two days i tried to figure out how it's possible to print the midi-notes, coming from SD2 to audio tracks, so that i can close the SD2 Vst-Instrument to safe up a little memory;replace certain drums, mix the kit like a real drumkit without using the SD2 internal mixer and so on.... but i am not able to set this up. I'm using Cubase 5. I found a tutorial for doing this but its for pro tools... :(

I hope you know what i mean :D

Anyway here is the link for the tutorial:

Gnocchi

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the tip!

anyone who know how to get this thing done in cubase, please help him..

F11, new instrument SD2, it makes a midi track (or you route the midi track you already have to the sd2 instance), then theres a button where you can activate the outputs of SD2...iirc
it looks like

-> ]

or something likes this.

There you activate all the outputs you need (standard name is S1/2, S3/4 and so on).
It creates new tracks in your cubase mixer that are routed from sd2. You now need to set the outputs in the SD2 mixer to those created in Cubas.
For me if would be kick in, kick out to S1/2, snare top&btm to s3/4 and so on...
Only downside is, as with PT, that those sd2 outs are all stereo, and I haven't figured out yet (or had the nerve to look deeper into it honestly) how to split those stereo outputs into mono ones, and then do the sent only on one side thingy to have real mono channels in the mixer.
So I just just treat the stereo outs as if it was mono, cause I usually export the kit parts in mono, as I don't "print" them with record, but the normal export, selecting only the sd2 output tracks and as mono.

Hope you got some out of it, at least you might get to route SD2 to your cubase mixer that way, and see if you can figure it out for your workflow

You'll have to create new busses in cubase to be able to route those sd2 outputs to audio tracks and them record them I think.

I'm even doing some of your work here, look what comes up when you type in "superior drummer multioutput cubase"

That also only the first half tho

How to print/record them is in this video, but its in german.
http://www.songs-and-stories.de/Tut...op 2-2/Mixing Workshop Teil 2-2 Bouncing.html

Around 10:10 he starts to create the busses. The guy is a bit slow with explaining, but you should see what he does there I think

Last edited by a moderator:
After I have everything done and set to their multi-outs, I bypass my plugs on the 2bus and when I go to export I can select which tracks I want to bounce. Then I just add a new audio track for each bounced track and drag and drop from the folder I bounced each track to. Probably not the quickest way but it doesn't take forever either.

I always utilized the plugin itself if I wanted to print audio tracks. Busing through the daw mixer to print the individual tracks isn't necessary and not nearly as versatile as learning how to use superiors bounce down function.

Yeah if you wan't the raw sounds from SD2 then it works...if you want to add some mojo with external plugins then not ;)

Sure, if it is only about printing the raw SD2 sounds the bounce function is golden, that's true.
In PT it's a lot less trouble to print the tracks with external plugins and routing than in cubase tho.

Wow man thank you guys.
The link Mago posted is what i was searching for... now i know it's called "bounce" :D
The Multi-Out function in SD2 is very cool, but in my case i was looking for a solution for my cpu usage problem. I think to bounce the tracks is the thing that will help me :)

Again, thank you were much for your help.

Sure, if it is only about printing the raw SD2 sounds the bounce function is golden, that's true.
In PT it's a lot less trouble to print the tracks with external plugins and routing than in cubase tho.

Few people know this but you can route and print tracks exactly the same way you do it in pro tools if you like.

Little trick I picked up watching some tutorials on cubase.

Yeah no problem as it's easy:

Create a stereo (or mono whatever you need) bus on your vst connections and make sure it's NOT CONNECTED (hardware).

Then take the track you want to print and select this new bus you made as the output, take the audio track your doing the real time print to and set the input to that same output, arm the track and then hit record.

Cubase still sees them but if you keep them unconnected, they act like the internal buses of pro tools.

^yeah that's the exact same thing the german guy in the video I posted is doing!
I got used to using PT and its bus routing option, so I couldn't be arsed so far to create those busses in Cubase...even if it's not really a lot of work :lol:

Instead of creating busses and recording I just select the track I want to export in the export window and do that piece by piece.
I feel like that is even faster on a say 5 minute song that having to wait until it is printed.