Cubendo Tips/Tricks Sharing Thread

C_F_H_13

Protools Guru
Mar 21, 2006
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
So as I dive deeper and deeper into Nuendo, I'm loving it more and more. I figured I'd start a thread where we could share any cool ideas/tips/tricks with either nuendo or cubase. I'll go first....

Setting up a REF Mix in your session:

So for me, the biggest thing I miss when not working on a console is the external to monitor switches. Being able to toggle between what i'm doing and a ref mix with one button is a godsend for me. It's always been a little tricky to do in a DAW. With Control Room I've figured out (with some help!) how to make this same function work.

Here's the scenario. I have my song I'm mixing called "song 1" and my ref is "song 2" For simplicity I a referencing the song I'm mixing with a stereo audio file but in reality it represents a standard 30-75 track mix. You could just solo switch between your mix and your ref, but then the ref goes through all your master buss processing...

Screenshot2012-02-06at14123PM.png

So here's what you do:

1- Go to your VST connections

Screenshot2012-02-06at14140PM.png

2- Create another OUTPUT

Screenshot2012-02-06at14146PM.png

3- Create a stereo out in the control room section

Screenshot2012-02-06at14219PM.png

4- Set the REF mix to the other stereo out

Screenshot2012-02-06at14236PM-1.png

5- Assign a key in the key commands section, under control room, MONITOR SOURCE SELECT.

VOILA, you can now switch backwards and forwards between the mixes with one key, and have 2 separate plugin paths if you choose.

Screenshot2012-02-06at14256PM.png

So there you go, there's one tip I found quite useful. Hopefully some of you with have some other cool ones!

As a side note, a friend of mine has a website with a few awesome nuendo tips. It is old and a little outdated, but I think some would find it interesting!

http://www.thelikelystory.com/articles/nuendo-tips-and-tricks

I'll have to give that a shot - I've always just sent it to a new output and solo/unsolo'd to reference. I've literally NEVER used control room, either, so go figure.

It'd take a while to get into my drum editing workflow, but one of the most important things to me is custom key commands:

Arrange window:
Bounce audio mixdown - ctrl+opt+cmd+b
Bounce audio selection - shift+cmd+b
Move selected region to front - ctrl+opt+cmd+up arrow
Move selected region to back - ctrl+opt+cmd+down arrow
Add audio track - ctrl+opt+cmd+t
Add MIDI track - ctrl+opt+cmd+m
Add folder - ctrl+opt+cmd+f
Add FX track - ctrl+opt+cmd+e
Add group track - ctrl+opt+cmd+g
Alternate between triplet grid - shift+cmd+t

Mixer:
Show inserts on mixer - ctrl+cmd+i
Show sends on mixer - ctrl+cmd+s
Link channels - shift+cmd+l
Unlink channels - shift+cmd+u

And for super quick commands to make sure your session is all cleaned up (arrange window):
Remove unused media - ctrl+opt+cmd+u
Empty trash - ctrl+opt+cmd+backspace/delete

I've also changed the color of the meters to be green up until about -10 and fade to yellow until they go red at 0db.

I actually use a lot of the same commands that Jeff has. The main difference is how I do the grid. These are all on the 10-key:

cmd+1 = 1/1
cmd+2 = 1/2
cmd+3 = 1/4
cmd+4 = 1/8
cmd+5 = 1/16
cmd+6 = 1/32
cmd+7 = 1/64
cmd+= = Toggle Straight/Triplet

I actually use a lot of the same commands that Jeff has. The main difference is how I do the grid. These are all on the 10-key:

cmd+1 = 1/1
cmd+2 = 1/2
cmd+3 = 1/4
cmd+4 = 1/8
cmd+5 = 1/16
cmd+6 = 1/32
cmd+7 = 1/64
cmd+= = Toggle Straight/Triplet

Thats actually how I was thinking about setting it up as well. The key commands in Nuendo is the one area I am constantly changing and refining.

That's weird - I literally have it set to those commands, verbatim. You won't see the "remove unused media" one work, but if you have stuff in the trash when you go to empty it, it'll ask you if you're sure. If you have no unused files in the project, neither command will show up as working.

I think I'll have to arrange my grid keys like that - I like having the triplet via shift+cmd+t because I can hit it with one hand while my other is still on the mouse.