Custom cab building

Thornspawn

Jul 27, 2005
Split, Croatia
Recently I have been thinking about making a costum cabinet for a TB100H I'm planning to buy. I'm wondering what are you expiriences with this, is it any cheaper then buying a finished cab, what speakers and wood would you recomend and ofcourse, are there any schematics to be found?

Thanx,
Dave

Razorjack said:
If you don't know what you are doing you are better off buying a pre-made cab.
Well, that is true, but if he never tryes he'll never learn what to do and get to know what he's doing anyway... Depends on waht you want. If you find that you might want to make a hobby out of building cabs or even a business, then go for it: learn, make mistakes and improve and maby one day we might all end up buying cabs from you :) If you just want thye one cab for yourself for the only sake of saving money, then buy one, as you're bound to get it wrong on your first tries and you'll end up spending much more.

My 2 cents: Buy good speakers and cheap wood. Build a cab with the cheap wood and make all the mistakes you can do while doing this. Use this cab for a while, and listen to it carefully looking for noises or unwanted sounds.

Then buy some nice wood, and build it with your experience.

I don't know much about what material you should use, or how it would affect your budget. But in my opinion it's usually cheaper, a good fun and you get pretty proud in the end - so why not?

There used to be some useful tips in Celestion's website, but I believe they took it offline.