Custom Ear Protection

Razorjack

Bass Behemoth
Jun 13, 2004
Manchester, UK
www.pythiamusic.com
So, I've starting looking at getting some decent ear plugs. I've had more post-gig ear ringing than I care for now and while I've still got good hearing I might as well not throw it away. As far as I see it, my living depends on my ears so I should look after them properly no matter what the expense is. On that point, has anyone had any experience with custom ear plugs? Specifically the ones designed to reduce the whole frequency spectrum equally, thus allowing for a better listening experience while at gigs/clubs/running F.O.H.

Andy

I had a pair made a while ago, they're customized for my ears and have an "equal" reduction on the whole spectrum.
They work extremely well, and you can choose what kind of filter to use, 5dB, 15dB or 25dB, i've got the 15dB in mine.

I haven't used em to work FOH but i have worn em to a lot of gigs and it should be perfect for that application.

I had silicon custom made ones (the guy put some stuff in your ears to take a print...) and a little screw to open it more or less (acting like a volume knob). It works very well but the attenuation was not as big as with Ears or foam plugs (during rehearsals, I had to take them out and put back the Ears). But when going to concerts, this is the best because the sound is less muffled. I wouldn't use any of those when working F.O.H. : if it's too loud for you, then it's too loud for the audience as well and you should just lower the overall volume, people will thank you for that (always happens to me).

Having spent a good couple of years working as a Front of House and monitor engineer Ive never found anything that provided protection and still lets you do the job accurately. More so with Front Of House you need to be hearing what the audience are hearing and mixing for them. If you have anything that alters the frequency response at all you will be hearing something different to the paying punter.
Ive seen other engineers wearing -10 attenuators but they seem to use them for protection before and after their bands sets and take them out to mix their own shows.
A while ago I was working a show with Mick Hughes ( FOH Metallica/ Slipknot) and asked him what he does to protect his ears, he said the best thing you can do is not watch the support band everynight.

Impy said:
I had a pair made a while ago, they're customized for my ears and have an "equal" reduction on the whole spectrum.
They work extremely well, and you can choose what kind of filter to use, 5dB, 15dB or 25dB, i've got the 15dB in mine.

I haven't used em to work FOH but i have worn em to a lot of gigs and it should be perfect for that application.

Was the brand Elacin? I've used Elacin custom ear plugs for about 3 years now, and our sound engineer uses them too at FOH. Mine are -25db 'cause I play in the band, he uses -10db. the reduction spectrum is, really is very "equal" on the whole spectrum.

I don't know the brand, i had em made at the Hearing Institute in sweden.
They took a mold of my ear and made em from that.

They're pretty expensive tho so it's not something you bring to the random drunken gig :)

I've heard of FOH engineers using custom-molded in-ear monitors before... anyone have experience with this? I want to get some for use in live shows (on stage), right now I'm using non-custom in-ears and I'm generally happy with them. But I'd imagine it would help give an FOH engineer some perspective.

I always wear earplugs when I see bands play... and a lot of other people do as well. I think it's important to protect your hearing, no sense losing your hearing so you can cater your mix to morons in the audience who have no idea what good sound is or how to protect their hearing. ;)

I always wear earplugs at gigs, just not my expensive ones, i even wear earplugs when i go to clubs and so on. I'm not gonna jeopardize my ears just because some idiot DJ doesn't know where the volume knob is...

I always wear earplugs at shows, when I'm playing and when I'm attending. It really cleans up the sound, especially in clubs. It also helps drown out that one guy at the Opeth show who always yells "SWEDEN!" (Seriously, who is that guy? He's at every show Opeth show in California and he's annoying as fuck.)

Lopes said:
It also helps drown out that one guy at the Opeth show who always yells "SWEDEN!" (Seriously, who is that guy? He's at every show Opeth show in California and he's annoying as fuck.)

Wow, he must have a lot of frequent flyer miles, cuz he's in New York too :D

Impy said:

:erk:
I wish I could have one of those made for me...
For now, I have to settle with the general yellow foam noise earplugs from a local drugstore or a wab of cotton, which in fact works even better (it's less muffled) but tends to fall out of my ear...