Good earplugs

I think it's worth noting that I used to use the generic 'one-size-fits-all' type ear plugs and still had issues with my ears after rehearsals - partly because I'm a vocalist too and the seal on them would break with my jaw in certain positions, and partly because my left ear canal is weird and they just didn't fit it properly.

I've got moulded plugs now and they've solved both of those problems - luckily my sister is dating a guy whose family business is ear plugs, so I got the moulds and plugs for free :D

Steve

How can the dentist even have equipment that causes hearing loss? It is illegal to use devices that are louder than 85 dB in Finland, even live gigs etc are limited to max 85 dB constant, otherwise the gig arranger will be fined very harshly. Same thing for all work environments, it is illegal to have noise louder than 85 dB for over 8 hours a day.

I was looking at some Docs ones:

7a_1_b.JPG

Any good?

Torniojaws said:
How can the dentist even have equipment that causes hearing loss?

The laws are similar in the UK, though you can go louder than that here (in my local PUB they have a sound limiter set to 84dB, actual music venues can go higher than that).

Brett said it was ultrasonic equipment though, meaning it works using very high frequencies that you can't actually hear - they cause the plaque to resonate and essesntially it vibrates itself off your teeth. However, just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it can't damage your hearing - if it's putting out a frequency that finds a resonance somewhere in your ear canal or has a high amplitude (even though you can't hear it, it will still have a 'volume'), it can still screw you up o_O

Steve

Muttley said:
I just knew there was some kind of special ingredient you guys put in your coffee. ;)

I'd be interested in where to get some decent plugs in the UK if anyone knows?

Muttley

Hehehee....

I didn't use all that wax for coffe alone, mate!
I saved some for my hair too.

:D

I hope I lived in a country where limited volume in gigs is a law... Here it's all manowar style, which means I hardly go to concerts at all because everything is so fuckin' loud you can't even tell what they are playing!!

Has anyone managed to find some sort of hearing protection that doesnt effect the way they work. For example something you can use whilst doing front of house that doesnt affect your perception?

> Has anyone managed to find some sort of hearing protection that doesnt
> effect the way they work. For example something you can use whilst doing
> front of house that doesnt affect your perception?

The ER-15's are really good and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I'm not sure using them to mix an album would be entirely sensible, but when it comes to live music they are close enough to flat that I can't tell any difference with them in and out (except the volume drop). Also they stop your ears being tricked as they get fatigued from the sheer volume of live events, which I imagine would be very handy if you're doing multiple bands in a night.