Ear protection?

Öwen;8944505 said:
Usually sounds better with plugs anyway IMHO, none of that "my ears are being destroyed" high end.

I've always thought this. Would it be so hard to mix a live metal band so it doesn't feel like you're being ear-raped with a chainsaw?

I've never done live sound for metal before, so i am genuinely asking that question.

Probably the greatest investment any ae can make. Your $5000 pres and comps don't mean shit if you lose the ability to listen critically. Hmm I'm hearing alot of 16k. Oh wait, what, we're doing bass?

Shiiiit.

+1000

I´ve got a pair of those and they are definitely worth the money.

+ another 1000

I've got custom moulded plugs with etyomic er-15 filters. Use them whenever I'm in a high volume situation, playing/watching gigs, in the car, even when doing live sound (get the mix sorted without the plugs and then put them in and just ride the levels)

Cost about £160 I think, WELL worth the money.

I use the the same ear plugs I shoot with at concerts. They are double sided. One side lets almost no sound through, and if you flip them they allow sound in but at lower level. They work great and cost like $5. Doesn't hamper any frequencies that bad either.

Going to live shows without earplugs is stupid. Permanent hearing damage is inevitable if youre in a room at 110dBSPL. I takes what, like, 4 seconds? Wear earplugs.

I've always thought this. Would it be so hard to mix a live metal band so it doesn't feel like you're being ear-raped with a chainsaw?

I've never done live sound for metal before, so i am genuinely asking that question.

Sometimes you can EQ it out, but a lot of it has to do with the room you're in, reflections and such. I always mix a song or two without my earplugs so I can tell if I'm "ear raping" the crowd or not :) most of the time the ridiculous piercing high end is from improperly EQ'd guitars

I use a pair of these with -15db attenuation:

er.jpg

Custom moulded, cost a bunch, really fucking good. I used to use those "christmas tree" style plugs earlier, but they sounded muffled and were uncomfortable to wear for long periods. These molded plugs are so transparent that I've no trouble even with mixing a live band while wearing them.

Yeah, the christmas trees start to hurt after a bit for me, I just use foam, though I really want a custom pair!

Tip #1: Protect your ears.
Tip #2: Avoid earplugs/all things that go in to your ear as much as possible.

The reason for this is that it may cause either an inflammation in your ear canal(Common), or at worst you will get an infected eardrum(Rare).
At live shows you probably dont want to run around using headphones, so earplugs are your only option.
If you use disposable earplugs(Like the yellow foam ones.), throw them away after using them.. dirty earplugs is bad news for your ears.
If you buy musicians plugs, then clean them thoroughly after use, so that they are clean the next time you put them in your ears.

The reason i am being so "girly" about this is because i have a chronic inflammation in my ear canal, caused by years of using eardrums in rehearsal(Use headphones when rehearsing.).
Trust me, it sucks more then tinnitus(Which i have too.).

Tip #1: Protect your ears.
Tip #2: Avoid earplugs/all things that go in to your ear as much as possible.

The reason for this is that it may cause either an inflammation in your ear canal(Common), or at worst you will get an infected eardrum(Rare).
At live shows you probably dont want to run around using headphones, so earplugs are your only option.
If you use disposable earplugs(Like the yellow foam ones.), throw them away after using them.. dirty earplugs is bad news for your ears.
If you buy musicians plugs, then clean them thoroughly after use, so that they are clean the next time you put them in your ears.

The reason i am being so "girly" about this is because i have a chronic inflammation in my ear canal, caused by years of using eardrums in rehearsal(Use headphones when rehearsing.).
Trust me, it sucks more then tinnitus(Which i have too.).

Damn that sucks :( I will probably be getting a pair of disposable ones, so I'll be getting rid of them afterwards.

Guys, I had to buy a replacement 25dB attenuator for my molds today, and it was 45 fucking dollars.

Highway robbery. I bet these things cost a penny to make. Maybe 5 cents at most. Be careful with your attenuators so you don't have to replace them!