Ok another tinnitus worrying

Aug 16, 2008
London, UK
fb.com
Hey guys, I went to a festival 2 days before, on 9th July, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Machine Head, Slipknot and Metallica. I was in the moshpit through LoG, Machine Head and Slipknot, when Metallica came it was time to eat :p

So, I fucking stupidly forgot to take my ear plugs with me, and now my left ear is ringing, yesterday it was ringing and humming, now it's just ringing, and I'm a pretty hypochondriac guy, and am constantly thinking every second that I'm going to have this ringing forever and that will lead me to kill myself etc... lol

I wear ear plugs on EVERY show I go, just this one I forgot, and mainly in Machine Head, the floor toms had such a fucking massive low end I could feel my whole thorax rumbling... Is it possible I got tinnitus for ever??! Just with this one gig? God damn I so fucking worried I could cry ... seriously :cry::cry:

This reminds me of a story when I was in the army. We were practising shooting with mortars. My group and few others had just finished shooting and other groups started theirs. We were about 30 meters away from the mortars and took our earplugs off (the explosions were pretty quiet). Just few minutes later a fucking loud explosion.. and of course tinnitus followed.

It turned out that somebody had heard the instructions wrong. Lenghthen 100 meters had become shorten 100 meters or something like that :D. I was standing near the officers and under the tinnitus I could hear them fighting about whether send everybody for hearing tests or not :D. The tinnitus went away after a day though.

I remember I got much worse tinnitus when I was at Ilosaarirock wathcing Paradise Lost at the main stage (in 1999). I was drunk out of my ass and went to jam right in front of the massive speakers :erk: Needless to say I wasn't wearing earplugs.

General recommended exposure times say, yes you can. Maybe not so much tinitus, but at least permanent hearing damage which is more likely to become apparent later in life.
The average concert will probably be around 110-115dBSPL, and at that level, it is supposed to take 30 odd seconds - 1 minute to induce permanent hearing damage.
However, chances are this means when youre 70 you will be able to hear half an octave less than your average 70 year old - but hey, something to keep in mind.

General recommended exposure times say, yes you can. Maybe not so much tinitus, but at least permanent hearing damage which is more likely to become apparent later in life.
The average concert will probably be around 110-115dBSPL, and at that level, it is supposed to take 30 odd seconds - 1 minute to induce permanent hearing damage.
However, chances are this means when youre 70 you will be able to hear half an octave less than your average 70 year old - but hey, something to keep in mind.

Gee, thanks! :lol::lol: :cry:

It was the first time I forgot to take my ear plugs :( damn it

In most cases you have just "overloaded" your ear, and it might take up to a month or even 2 months before it goes away.
I learned this when i had my tinnitus checked, because i didn't have any visual damages on my eardrum, so they sent me home for a couple of months to see if it went away.. but it didn't for me. :(

I'm getting worried too. I just can't help blasting some groovy metal tunes on the car stereo, and what do you know, as soon as I turn the engine off and sit in silence, I'm engulfed by "The Ring". "Stop playing metal at loud volumes whilst driving" is not an option. I mean, what's better than cruising by blasting "Spheres of Madness" or "Funeral Hymn" whilst nodding your head and tapping on the steering wheel, giving an education in music to passers by? Who's with me? Any other metal bros blasting the shit out of their car speakers indifferent to the damage being caused?

I know i got permanent hearing damage from the time i played with this LOUD drummer. I was like 17yo and we were rehearsing on a REALLY small room - my left ear was like 3 feet from his crash cymbal. You know what happened. Now, 10 years later, i get this random ringing every now and then on my ears. It happens mostly when I am tired, but it happens. Sometimes a ring comes and goes away in 5s. The doc i went didnt say a thing about it tho'.

If you're really worried, just go to a doc and see what he says ;)

I know i got permanent hearing damage from the time i played with this LOUD drummer. I was like 17yo and we were rehearsing on a REALLY small room - my left ear was like 3 feet from his crash cymbal. You know what happened. Now, 10 years later, i get this random ringing every now and then on my ears. It happens mostly when I am tired, but it happens. Sometimes a ring comes and goes away in 5s. The doc i went didnt say a thing about it tho'.

If you're really worried, just go to a doc and see what he says ;)

Exactly the same with me but mine is the right ear due to standing about 2/3 feet from his cymbals without earplugs. Its kinda like the treble is turned down compared to the left ear.

I was advised by a top herbalist to try this: http://www.herballegacy.com/Ear_Nerve.html I wont put any pharmacceuticals into my ears as I dont trust doctors at all!