Cyhra - The Vertigo Trigger - August 2023

DE4life

Music Theory or GTFO
Mar 18, 2008
UK
Cyhra have announced their third album will be out in 2022. No other news yet. When asked if Jesper has written anything for the album the Cyhra account replied "only time will tell " which suggests he'll be involved in some capacity.

Reactions: eochaid
It's a matter of if he's a fully committed member or not. Only time will tell sounds like he's not.

The forum didn't add the ":cool:" emoji which was at the end of the "only time will tell" reply. I took that as meaning Jesper has contributed something.

Imagine the reply to the question if, instead of Jesper, people were to ask about Jake.

The fact that Jake himself is laying down cool guitar riffs is a good sign.

Euge sounds totally compromised (“cucked”, if you will) talking about the vocals and the overall song being number one though. Even said the cool riffs and melodies might get thrown away later. :(

Erm, where are those cool riffs and melodies?

Riffs sounded okay, but if Jake is in control of songwriting again I'm not optimistic of much improvement over NHIH. Also there were a lot of nice sounding riffs in the NHIH teaser videos and we all know how that turned out.

Okay sounding "riffs" are what's wrong with the music today.

Basically they are building foundations for laying cheesy vocal lines over the guitars. That is all I hear in that video.

Maybe I'm oldschool now, but although I do enjoy a catchy chorus here and there, metal music should have some serious content. This has none, just like the last Cyhra album.

Was listening to last few Death albums recently. My God, the number of great riffs, melodies, solos, changes, drum fills per song. It's art and works well even after 20 or 30 years.

Operation Mindcrime by QR is the same. The thought that went to crafting the music and all the little things and changes...Perfect still.

And then we have these modern generic musicians that sit in front of the computer screen, set the tempo to 130 bpm, 4/4, string 4 related powerchords, lay the most basic and obvious melodic line over that and call it a song.

Okay sounding "riffs" are what's wrong with the music today.

Basically they are building foundations for laying cheesy vocal lines over the guitars. That is all I hear in that video.

Maybe I'm oldschool now, but although I do enjoy a catchy chorus here and there, metal music should have some serious content. This has none, just like the last Cyhra album.

Was listening to last few Death albums recently. My God, the number of great riffs, melodies, solos, changes, drum fills per song. It's art and works well even after 20 or 30 years.

Operation Mindcrime by QR is the same. The thought that went to crafting the music and all the little things and changes...Perfect still.

And then we have these modern generic musicians that sit in front of the computer screen, set the tempo to 130 bpm, 4/4, string 4 related powerchords, lay the most basic and obvious melodic line over that and call it a song.
Euge said it straight up: guitars don’t matter.

Must be totally desperate for that Jake E money.

Not that again. People who thinks like that should just stop making metal. There are enough genders, far mor popular than metal, where music doesn't matter. But music is what makes metal metal.

Main difference between Cyhra 2 and 3 from my perspective is that I actually had high expectations for the second Cyhra album. For this one I have absolutely none. I expect it to be the same basic, formulaic, radio-wannabe shit as the last album. I'll be stunned if it isn't.

My only real curiousity is how much Jesper has contributed, if anything.

It’s so cringe that Jake refers to Alex as his drummer (“my drummer”) in that video. He makes a joke about it, but he seems serious. Dude, you aren’t a rock star. You just play in a band. Nobody knows who the fuck you are. It’s still Jesper’s band because that’s the only reason anyone cares. The way they keep Jesper on board just enough to string people along to listen to each album is manipulation.

Jake E needs to get reality checked.

I bet Euge got referred to as “my guitarist” recently as well. That’s probably why Euge acts and talks like a total hostage victim in the latest video. I hope he can escape safely soon.

Yeah I'd have more respect at this point if they just came out and said outright that Jesper is, at best, a guest musician who will make a few contributions to the albums but won't be part of the overall creative process or the tours. The idea that he's still a member of Cyhra after not touring with them for something like 4 years, hardly writing anything for NHIH and now starting The Halo Effect (who he will tour with) is laughable at this point.

But as you say, metalheads wouldn't give a fuck about Cyhra if not for Jesper, and there aren't enough casual Amaranthe fans who care about Jake to make the band relevent otherwise. I honestly have no idea who their audience even is at this point. I have no idea who NHIH was supposed to appeal to. It's like quasi-power metal mixed with Amaranthe style commercial metal. There's nothing on NHIH that you can't hear elsewhere, being done much better.

Jake has put all of his eggs in the Cyhra basket at this point, in terms of being his main band, so I get him pushing the band. The likes of Euge and Alex should only be treating Cyhra as a project at most, though. Both can do better - although Euge needs somebody to channel his skills into something less bland and more creative.

Being honest, even I can make the riffs that Euge did in the video. And I have not played a guitar in 15 years and my skills weren't that good.

It's just simplistic riffing.

Jake E - Five Albums That Changed My Life

https://www.roppongirocks.com/archives/14203

HammerFall - Glory to the Brave (1997)

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I & II (1987-88)

Sixx:A.M. - The Heroin Diaries (2007)

Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy (1999)

Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal (2013)

Not heard of Sixx:A.M. but sounds lame, BMTH... lol. The rest is good albeit obvious Power Metal choices.